Toxic bleed air?

Not yet...
Furlong said his team is a few months away from finalizing a blood analysis test that will be able to definitely confirm whether the study participants were indeed poisoned by toxic fumes.

Study isn't done yet.

AH jeez, does that mean we can't wildly speculate like we normally do?

denny-o

AH jeez, does that mean we can't wildly speculate like we normally do?

denny-o

Why not - they do at CNN....all the time.... :yesnod:

Note this quote has only nebulous references to "experts" with no citations:

"If an engine oil seal leaks, aviation engineers and scientists say, the bleed air can become contaminated with toxins."

I imagine there are others with similar experiences but I have found any time, and I mean every single time, I have had personal knowledge of a news story I was (not anymore) amazed that they could only get about 50% of it right and the rest was totally inaccurate. Reporters rarely have any specific know-how or education in the subjects they have to cover and just wing it as best they can given the short time frame they have to try and undertand often complicated subjects. Not their fault they have to get the story written and can't learn enough about every subject to fully comprehend what they are reporting. Funny, I still read the news and don't know why I believe any of what I read.....good indoctrination I guess....:skeptical:

The issue of contaminated bleed air in the cockpit isn't exactly new. At the first detection of fumes -- Mask on, regulator 100% is what they taught us.

The issue of contaminated bleed air in the cockpit isn't exactly new.
Are there alot of retired pilots with health issues? Last story I saw included people claiming health problems from a single to a few events. Logically there should be plenty of ill retired pilots somewhere.

Exactly. The FAA wouldn't let Beechcraft use bleed air for cabin pressurization in the first few thousand King Airs.

The reason for the turbo compressor on the early model King Airs was because of the PT6A-6's and PT6A-20's weak bleed, not bleed air contamination. When an engine uses bleed air it looses output power and with these engines rated at 500shp/550 shp at SL/standard and the heavy airframe with bleed air they simply lost too much power.

With the PT6A-21 on the C90's rated at 580eshp and 550shp and a few redesigns they went to bleed air.

When an engine uses bleed air it looses output power and with these engines rated at 500shp/550 shp at SL/standard and the heavy airframe with bleed air they simply lost too much power.
I knew a captain on the Fokker F-100 airliner who called the bleed air anti-ice the "anti climb device".

-Skip

Back