Tow Bar for riding mower tug

Polish Pilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PolishPilot
I have a Cessna XP and wondering what ideas some of you may have about the connection from the front of the riding mower (17.5hp Craftsman) to the nose wheel. It appears that a ball and socket is too easy to get into a reverse angle very quickly. I think I need more weight on the front of the tractor for one thing. If any of you have a similar set up, I would really appreciate your advice.

I could put a ball on the back of tractor for pulling the plane out of the hangar. But pushing it in is very difficult; if not impossible. I have not tried backing the plane in; but that would not be too easy either.

Trying to avoid +/- $2000 for a tug. I have a tow bar that has been made to work with the front wheel pant on. Would like to convert that tow bar if possible.

Thanks,
Jim

Longer arm. I took my towbar, cut the connecting end off, inserted and welded into 1.25" pipe x 7' long, and ball and hitched the other end. 3' is too short.

Longer arm. I took my towbar, cut the connecting end off, inserted and welded into 1.25" pipe x 7' long, and ball and hitched the other end. 3' is too short.

Thanks for the reply. Tow bar is about 6' . I think more weight on front wheels will help. Going to try it. I have noticed when I get to a certain angle the front ends seems to jump sideways.

I have a ball on the front. That is what I use, but front end doesn't seem to have traction enough. I'm going to try some extra weight up front. I reach a certain angle and front wheels seem to slide.

Google lawnmower tug. Plenty of results from BeechTalk, Mooneyspace and the other usual suspects.

I have a ball on the front. That is what I use, but front end doesn't seem to have traction enough. I'm going to try some extra weight up front.

Ok, Now I understand.

Is the connection to the lawn mower higher or lower than the connection to the nose gear.??

You seem to be overthinking this. Pintle hitch on the front of a golf cart is what most folks I know use. Don't see why that would not work for you with your tractor.

You seem to be overthinking this. Pintle hitch on the front of a golf cart is what most folks I know use. Don't see why that would not work for you with your tractor.

Pintle or ball hitch about the same, but good idea, also. For some reason front wheel traction is less than effective. That's why I will add weight and see it it helps. I will post a reply when I find out.

My tow tractor is a Murry mower. My tow bar is two pieces so I made a piece attached to the mower to substitute for the upper half. I only tow my plane with it. Then I detach and push it into final place.

Back