Tour of the SR-71 cockpit

" Mach 3 and up...."

I wonder what the max cruise speed really is on that thing?

Thanks for posting.

I want one of those PVDs.

Last edited:
Actually.... I "think" NASA still has two of them flying..:dunno:

NASA retired theirs in the late '90's. There was a lady named Mary Schafer (sp?) who used to participate on Usenet who was pretty involved with NASA's SR program, and kept a running commentary on the program all the way through its end.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that they are *all* retired. It is easier and more PC to launch an RQ-170 or other stealthy platform to gather information instead of sending something that is non-stealthy and due to its sonic boom is a stick in the eye to the pride of the overflown countries.

Besides, the SR is vulnerable to the SA-5 and its derivatives, which are pretty widely fielded these days.

Agreed. I sure wish it was still operational.

EAA Chapter 80 has a former SR-71 pilot as a member. He is in his 80s now, and still could kick all our butts. An amazing man, and an amazing pilot, a better story teller. ;) Still a current and teaching CFI.

Last edited:
NASA retired theirs in the late '90's. There was a lady named Mary Schafer (sp?) who used to participate on Usenet who was pretty involved with NASA's SR program, and kept a running commentary on the program all the way through its end.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that they are *all* retired. It is easier and more PC to launch an RQ-170 or other stealthy platform to gather information instead of sending something that is non-stealthy and due to its sonic boom is a stick in the eye to the pride of the overflown countries.

Besides, the SR is vulnerable to the SA-5 and its derivatives, which are pretty widely fielded these days.

Correct. NASA's final SR-71 flight was October 9, 1999.

With a need to have real time survailence it was inevitable that UAVs would replace the SR.

" Mach 3 and up...."

I wonder what the max cruise speed really is on that thing?

Max speed was determined by temperature, limitation was 427 degrees Celsius at the turbine inlet. The engineers gave the crew of the final museum delivery flight a one-time limitation of 450C to assist them in a speed record attempt, but as it turned out they didn't use it.

Back