Toughest landing yet

:eek: Is there a writeup somewhere on this? If not, would you mind making one? Well done!

Edit: Since this is PoA afterall... That'll buff right out.

At the time I was a new pilot with not much experience and made a few mistakes with a new plane that I just purchased, but I picked the trees to hit and stalled the plane just before hitting them. On sit investigation lasted about 15 min with me. The investigator said I did everything right aside from misjudging the distance and speed. In my defense, the airport did not come into view until we were right on it and I did not think I had enough airspeed to go around.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/R...tID=20050712X00989&AKey=1&RType=HTML&IType=CA

Living in Texas, crosswinds and gusts are a part of flying. I am a pretty good "lander" in crosswinds, but one thing I don't mind doing is going "missed" and doing a go around. If a gust hits you at just the wrong time, it can really make things go bad in a hurry. I have zero hesitation to going around. The gust is a timing issue - if one hits you 100 ft off the runway you can recover. If one hits me 30 ft above the runway I just go missed. Simple as that.

I think that the single biggest issue with crosswind or gusty landings is the pilot's refusal to go around and not try to "salvage" an approach / landing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back