Votes: 19 44.2%

• Total voters

bqmassey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Brandon
[FONT=Arial,Arial]
Select the UNICOM frequencies normally assigned to stations at landing areas used exclusively as heliports.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/FONT]

This question came up in my test prep software when I was studying for the written (private pilot). I had absolutely no clue. A lot of questions can be figured out, even if you don't know them of the top of your head, just by reading through the answers and making an educated guess. I had no clue on this one.

Please, if you answer the poll, don't cheat. Look up the answer afterwards. I'm curious how many folks will get this one right.

For you folks that know, was there any way to figure this one out without just having the list of frequencies (from the AIM) memorized?

The question was too long to fit in the "question" box of the poll.

Last edited:
Too bad the answer is now outdated as those freq's are being assigned to regular airports. In any event, this question has no business on a PP-Airplane knowledge test.

I'll have to check and make sure that those are the current answers. My test prep software is current, but I don't have it with me right now. I searched for the question online.

Too bad the answer is now outdated as those freq's are being assigned to regular airports. In any event, this question has no business on a PP-Airplane knowledge test.

I believe it does since from what I can tell, there is no distinction. I.E. for a Rotorcraft-Helicopter add on, I don't have to take a written, the Commercial Pilot written I took when I got my original C-MEL covers any Commercial Pilot rating.

122.75 and 123.65 MHz. are the airplane to airplane frequencies.

123.05 and 123.075 MHz. are too close together to my way of thinking for any kind of landing area, and could easily be confused while reading from any source while flying.

Therefor, my guess is 123.0 and 122.95 MHz. It is just a guess, I have no clue what the correct answer is.

John

I checked my test prep, and this question and answer set is in the current question bank.

I am studying for my PP-Rotorcraft/Helicopter test, but I do believe this question could show up on the airplane test as well. The Learning Statement Code is PLT078 - Interpret information on an Airport Facility Directory (AFD) (linky).

The explanation in my test-prep software references CFR 47, Part 87.217, and goes something like this:

Answer 1) 122.75 and 123.65 MHz. Incorrect. This is incorrect because it's not in the list specified by CFR 47, Part 87.217.

Answer 2) 123.0 and 122.95 MHz. Incorrect. This is incorrect because 122.95 is the frequency for airports with a full-time control tower or FSS.

Answer 3) 123.05 and 123.075 MHz. Correct. This is the only remaining answer.

The explanation mentions that there is nothing in the regs that states that those frequencies are assigned for heliport use. You are supposed to know the answer by eliminating the other two.

Here is the CFR.

§87.217 Frequencies.

(a) Only one unicom frequency will
be assigned at any one airport. Appli-
cants must request a particular fre-
quency, which will be taken into con-
sideration when the assignment is
made. The frequencies assignable to
unicoms are:

(1) 122.950 MHz at airports which have
a full-time control tower or full-time
FAA flight service station.

(2) 122.700, 122.725, 122.800, 122.975,
123.000, 123.050 or 123.075 MHz at all
other airports.

(b) 121.500 MHz: emergency and dis-
tress only.

Last edited:
I think the real question is what possible use is the memorization of these frequencies to a pilot, especially a fixed wing pilot.

my home field is 123.075, and is not a heliport.

Darn... There is always one who ruins my winning streak.:sad::sad::wink2:

my home field is 123.075, and is not a heliport.

Read the question again... No where does it mention that the frequencies are exclusive, just that the landing area as a heliport is.... I know, that's f-ed up, but I've taken enough government tests to know to read carefully and not read any more into it than is actually there.

Read the question again... No where does it mention that the frequencies are exclusive, just that the landing area as a heliport is.... I know, that's f-ed up, but I've taken enough government tests to know to read carefully and not read any more into it than is actually there.

Exactly. Apparently, there are no frequencies designated just for heliports. Heliports use the same ones any non-towered airport would use. There was only one answer on there that had frequencies that any non-towered landing area (airport or heliport) could use.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I just don't see the need to memorize a list of UNICOM frequencies. They're on the sectional, which you're supposed to have with you.

Exactly. Apparently, there are no frequencies designated just for heliports. Heliports use the same ones any non-towered airport would use. There was only one answer on there that had frequencies that any non-towered landing area (airport or heliport) could use.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I just don't see the need to memorize a list of UNICOM frequencies. They're on the sectional, which you're supposed to have with you.

Find me the FAR that indicates that as true.

You don't need to know all of them, just the exceptions. BTW, as to 122.95, in order to eliminate that one, you would have to know there is no heliport with an FSS.

I know. I just ran into that with my FIRC.

In order to get the information from FAAsafety.gov, you have to register to become a member. Anyone who shows an interest in promoting aviation safety can become a member. Easy enough, right? The question on the quiz:

IN order to access resources on FAASafety.gov you must
A ) Be anyone interested in promoting aviation safety
B ) a student pilot or CFI
C ) a registered member of the website

The answer should be C. Nope, it's A. Evidently all rectangles are squares. :rolleyes:

In order to get the information from FAAsafety.gov, you have to register to become a member. Anyone who shows an interest in promoting aviation safety can become a member. Easy enough, right? The question on the quiz:

The answer should be C. Nope, it's A. Evidently all rectangles are squares. :rolleyes:

My Favorite was California M/C drivers licence (pre helmet law)

Which is the most important piece of safety gear?

A ) Helmet
B ) Goggles
C ) Gloves

I answered B, they wanted A (only question I missed so I passed anyway) but I told the lady that that is an incorrect answer."A helmet will only help you in the event of an accident, but eye protection will help prevent an accident." at that point she started trembling, smoke started pouring out her ears and they had evacuate DMV....:D

Most all of us accept FAR as the gospel, or the source of a final decision. If it can not be found in FAR, must it be ignored completely?

The FAR/AIM is such a thick book as compared to what it was thirty years ago. I think this is due to most all of us wanting absolutely everything in writing, or a final authority to settle our never ending subjects of argument.

I'm wondering that if the earth was leaping up to smite you, if your mind would be racing through what you can recall of the FAR/AIM, or would you be reacting to your constant training and practice to get you out of such situations?

If nothing worked, would you be thinking of FAR/AIM or would you be thinking more along the lines of OH SH*T, or perhaps a simple OOPS, just before impact. :ihih:

John

Henning's right -- if you can memorize or otherwise copy to your kneeboard or such all the information pertinent to your flight, you need not carry current charts in your cockpit for a VFR Part 91 flight. However, the FAA Chief Counsel also says:
If a pilot is involved in an enforcement investigation and there is evidence that the use of an out-of-date chart, no chart, or an out-of-date database contributed to the condition that brought on the enforcement investigation, then that information could be used in any enforcement action that might be taken.
Choose wisely.

You don't have to register to look at content on the faasafety.gov website. You only need to register to join the WINGS program or some other interactive stuff where you're expecting them to keep track of your progress.

Most all of us accept FAR as the gospel, or the source of a final decision. If it can not be found in FAR, must it be ignored completely?

The FAR/AIM is such a thick book as compared to what it was thirty years ago. I think this is due to most all of us wanting absolutely everything in writing, or a final authority to settle our never ending subjects of argument.

I'm wondering that if the earth was leaping up to smite you, if your mind would be racing through what you can recall of the FAR/AIM, or would you be reacting to your constant training and practice to get you out of such situations?

If nothing worked, would you be thinking of FAR/AIM or would you be thinking more along the lines of OH SH*T, or perhaps a simple OOPS, just before impact. :ihih:

John

What does all of that have to do with having a sectional or not with you?

What does all of that have to do with having a sectional or not with you?

Not a thing.

"Find me the FAR that indicates that as true."

Your quote (above) kind of set me off on a new direction. I was having fun with it, so I thought what the heck, have some fun.

Irregardless of what FAR says, flying around, especially X country, sailing the seas, or hiking out in the boonies, without a chart at least handy, borders on complete stupidity. GPS is wonderful as long as everything keeps working right.

An off airport landing in the middle of nowhere, without a GPS, a broken airplane, and no chart might get you to wishing you had one. That is of course assuming you also never bothered with filing a flight plan either, so no search parties will be sent.

Should you survive such an adventure, it will not just be the FAA you will be attempting to appease. Your insurance company will also be interested in reasons not to pay any claim you may file. Flying without a current or no chart, might work for them.

John

Irregardless of what FAR says, flying around, especially X country, sailing the seas, or hiking out in the boonies, without a chart at least handy, borders on complete stupidity. GPS is wonderful as long as everything keeps working right..

John

I just "fly around" often -- never, ever consulting the charts that are in my airplane.

Irregardless of what FAR says, flying around, especially X country, sailing the seas, or hiking out in the boonies, without a chart at least handy, borders on complete stupidity.

And that statement borders on an absolute, of which there are very few of those in life.

Didn't recognize either 122.75 and 123.65 MHz.
Recognized as common CTAF and Unicom 123.0 and 122.95 MHz.
Recognized from Hudson River HELICOPTER Route 123.05 and 123.075 MHz. Chose it.

You don't have to register to look at content on the faasafety.gov website. You only need to register to join the WINGS program or some other interactive stuff where you're expecting them to keep track of your progress.

Odd, when I tried to look, it said I needed to register.

Didn't recognize either 122.75 and 123.65 MHz.
Recognized as common CTAF and Unicom 123.0 and 122.95 MHz.
Recognized from Hudson River HELICOPTER Route 123.05 and 123.075 MHz. Chose it.

122.75 is Air to Air

Mine too.

Again, irrelevant, the reason behind the "Helipad Only" was to establish that there is no FSS on the field so you could eliminate 122.75 as Air to Air and 122.95 as FSS containing fields only which leaves you with only one answer.

Back