Touch Screen Lockup

cessna182b

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DAVID JOHNSON
The device in question is a BK AV8OR GPS. Recently the touch screen locked up. The unit would power up normally - but there would be no response from attempts to use the touch screen (without which it is useless). I tried all the usual tricks like reset, power down & up, remove battery, etc. Nothing worked. Somewhere else I saw a tip about leaving the battery out overnight. Did so - but that didn't work, either. It happened that thereafter I left the battery out for several days. When I tried it again - all was well, and it has worked fine since.

The lockup phenomenon is something I have seen in many devices (i believe it can happen to anything with a microprocessor in it). The cure always seems to be "Remove all sources of power and wait". Recent examples include my wife's cell phone and the TV remote. I also have a microwave oven that occasionally gets its brains scrambled - and the cure is the same. I see something similar in my work, where we occasionally encounter a powered-up but unresponsive device. Cycling power has no effect - but after pulling it out and taking it back to the shop, find that it has mysteriously recovered and works fine.

Has anybody out there had similar experiences? Is there any way to shorten the wait (or force an immediate reset)? Note that in the case of the microwave oven I discovered that holding the CLEAR button down for about a minute will reset the unit. I tried to do the same using the RESET switch on the rear of the AV8OR - but it didn't work.

Dave

Is it the menu screen you get struck at or the blue BK startup screen ?

It may be the data card, they store some parameters on it I believe

Is it the menu screen you get struck at or the blue BK startup screen ?

It may be the data card, they store some parameters on it I believe

When I had the problem it would boot up normally then go to the Menu screen. I would get no further than that. I did try removing and reinserting the SD card - but that had no effect. Didn't try booting it up without the card, though.

The unit has been fine since I cleared the problem. I used it today in street map mode.

Dave

My research on the AV8OR showed nothing but problems. YMMV, but, based on what I've seen/heard, I'm not sure I'd rely on the device for aviation purposes. Freezes/Lockups were one of the things always mentioned, besides horrible support.

My research on the AV8OR showed nothing but problems. YMMV, but, based on what I've seen/heard, I'm not sure I'd rely on the device for aviation purposes. Freezes/Lockups were one of the things always mentioned, besides horrible support.

I find it amusing that there are those who will bash something they have never used. I've had the AV8OR for, IIRC, 7 years - and have basically been a satisfied customer. The lockup problem is the first issue I have had with it - and as noted, is an issue with all sorts of electronic devices. The unit never was my sole position reference. My first GPS was a Garmin GPS92 - and I still have and use it. These days I also have a Nexus 7 tablet running Avare - which is an awesome device. On a coast-to-coast trip I had all three going at once - and they all agreed!. I also have VOR/DME/RNAV capability - but seldom turn it on any more.

Dave

I find it amusing that there are those who will bash something they have never used. I've had the AV8OR for, IIRC, 7 years - and have basically been a satisfied customer. The lockup problem is the first issue I have had with it - and as noted, is an issue with all sorts of electronic devices. The unit never was my sole position reference. My first GPS was a Garmin GPS92 - and I still have and use it. These days I also have a Nexus 7 tablet running Avare - which is an awesome device. On a coast-to-coast trip I had all three going at once - and they all agreed!. I also have VOR/DME/RNAV capability - but seldom turn it on any more.

Dave

I had the AVI8OR-3D, POS that B-K refused to support.

It actually depends, the very early version was rock solid, but the mfg of the hardware made slight changes and it went down hill from there.

Mine I purchased the first week it was released and still going strong using firmware GPS-006-005 and 2.06 of GoFly software.

Last I checked BK did still have some refurb units for returns/repair and I can reach out to my BK employee friend to see if that is still the case.

Update from my BK contact.

For possible fixes, we recommend:
· Removing the battery for 24 hours, re-insert and try again
· Go thru the screen calibration – press and hold the menu button on top of the unit
· Reload the firmware but that’s tricky because you don’t know what the firmware presently installed is.

Last edited:
Are you a smoker, by any chance? Do you smoke around the unit?

I find it amusing that there are those who will bash something they have never used.
Dave

I didn't say I hadn't used one... quite the opposite, using one caused me to research why I was having problems. That's when I kept running across other people who were also having problems. The unit was offered to me for free, because my friend had given up.

I liked many things about the AV8OR, but it's lockups and quirks, plus all the negative comments from many other users caused me to throw it away. Undaunted, and un-learned, I subsequently spent many hours trying to warm up to their follow-on app "MyWingman". What a horrible mess. Once again, nice features and a demonstrated knowledge of aviation navigation, but a horrible piece of software that locked/froze constantly.

I'm sure there are people who have used the AV8OR without problems. And drove Ford Pintos without frying, smoked cigarettes without getting lung cancer, or breathed asbestos without getting meso.... but...

warm up to their follow-on app "MyWingman". What a horrible mess. Once again, nice features and a demonstrated knowledge of aviation navigation, but a horrible piece of software that locked/froze constantly.

I was a beta tester on that from day 1 and told them constantly it was not ready for prime time, nowhere near it ( still have the emails) but they pushed it out anyway just to have a product on the market, ashamed that I had anything to do with it. It was developed by SA and they always seem to roll out the AOPA version with less bugs/issues than the BK version ( both shared over 85% DNA) - at least lessons learned from both products has been included in the latest FlyQ version.

ive tried everything i can think of on my ace the touch screen will not work it worked a few years back befor i put it away now nothing

Back