Touch-Screen App Idea

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
I don't know anything about coding for phones, so I'm going to toss this out there for those who do:

How about an app that would allow users to type a full multi-digit number when prompted to do so by a robot, but not send it until the entire number is typed and (if needed) corrected?

This would be helpful for chubby-fingered users because it would allow errors to be corrected before the information is submitted.

-Rich

Not sure I understand your question... However the phone dialer does this, doesn't it?

He's talking about after you're connected to your bank or wherever, and it's asking for an account number or something similar. At that point your phone is sending DTMF tones as you punch virtual buttons. He wants to be able to do that the same way the dialer works. Not a bad idea, really... but I don't write code for phones, so it won't be me doing it.

ahh, that's what he means by a robot.

If you have an iPhone, you are out of luck. You can't take over the dialer. If you have an Android phone, I suspect someone can make an app to do what you are asking for.

I think you can also put pauses in the number (I forget the code to tell the phone to pause), and then keep typing. If you call it often, you might be able to set the number up to always enter the values you want, before you even call.

On most cell phones, if you know the menu already, you can store digits in a speed dial for it by adding pauses (usually the "," character - the old Hayes command set still lives on!) onto the end of the phone number and then the menu option digits.

Before visual voice mail on iPhone, I kept speed dials for "Work Voice Mail" and "Home Voice Mail" that way.

Not happening on an iPhone, that I can say for sure. Might be possible on an Android but no idea since I don't develop for them.

I don't think ti'd work that well though because while you were sorting out the number before you sent a single DTMF tone the bank's side would be upset that you hadn't inserted anything yet and would timeout.

Not happening on an iPhone, that I can say for sure. Might be possible on an Android but no idea since I don't develop for them.

I don't think ti'd work that well though because while you were sorting out the number before you sent a single DTMF tone the bank's side would be upset that you hadn't inserted anything yet and would timeout.

It's amazing the number of people who approach me wanting me to develop their big idea that nobody else has thought of. Almost everytime their idea breaks numerous apple rules for getting in the app store. I really hate telling potential customers "sorry not possible" for things that should be possible... Ignoring that if it could have been done, it likely would have by now.

It's amazing the number of people who approach me wanting me to develop their big idea that nobody else has thought of. Almost everytime their idea breaks numerous apple rules for getting in the app store. I really hate telling potential customers "sorry not possible" for things that should be possible... Ignoring that if it could have been done, it likely would have by now.

Just yesterday I had to explain that to one of my clients. They own a franchise and wanted an app to display current calendar and let their customers scheduke appts. The calendar is on the parent website and everything is pushed out with the local franchise info. The parent company would never let me have access to the database server. I'd have to replicate it someplace else in order to implement the scheduling capability.

Just yesterday I had to explain that to one of my clients. They own a franchise and wanted an app to display current calendar and let their customers scheduke appts. The calendar is on the parent website and everything is pushed out with the local franchise info. The parent company would never let me have access to the database server. I'd have to replicate it someplace else in order to implement the scheduling capability.

Some of the largest businesses in the world have given me direct access or worked with me to create a web service to push/pull data from them for their customers/affiliates that were fairly insignificant to them. Never know until you ask most corporate it departments are slow, bureaucratic and filled with hard headed know it alls but I've foud they'll work with you for reasonable requests

Back