Touch & goes or stop & go?

What did they do to keep the sump filled with oil?
Test cells that I've seen have separate fuel/oil tanks that can be accessed.

Come to think about it, those cells were running turbines and turbines don't have sumps.

I've never like T&Gs, and it's not because of engine stress. First, I'm not sure of what they teach over a stop and go, and they seem more dangerous considering the reconfiguration that must happen in a very short time period. You want to practice a go-around, then practice a go-around.

If the goal is to teach/practice landings you sure get a lot more in an hour with a T&G vice a stop and go.

T&G verse full stop for me is dependent on how long the runway is and what plane I'm in. I'm still a bit paranoid about touching the gear handle vice the flaps so unless it's 4K or so of runway I tend to stop and taxi back with the complex but happy to do T&G all day on less than 3K with the Archer.

I have a problem with stop and go operations. Unless the runway is very long, and/or there are a lot of landing options, it's an intersection T/O for all practical purposes. I generally don't do those, either.

I have a problem with stop and go operations. Unless the runway is very long, and/or there are a lot of landing options, it's an intersection T/O for all practical purposes. I generally don't do those, either.
Depends a bit on the airplane as well as the length of runway.

I generally won't do stop and goes in a Stearman, but I did them all the time in the F2 on a 5000' runway (F2 ground roll is only about 400').

I do not know of definitive engine mechanical issues for limiting T&Gs, but I do know of noise abatement procedures that prohibit them to decrease the number takeoffs at an airport.

Touch and go - when you absolutely, positively must combine two of aviation’s most problematic maneuvers into one.
(independent of any discussion of engine issues)

T&Gs are a great way to learn aircraft control, systems management, and how to handle stress.
Start on long runways and as you get better use shorter and shorter runways until you learn your limits.

I've heard a lot of people talk about the thermal shock from quick cooling and heating up, but this directive doesn't make any sense. How is the engine any cooler after gliding in on final then appplying power that it would be doing maneuvers requiring throttle ups and downs at altitude where the outside temperature is much cooler than on the ground? Are you no longer allowed to do power off stalls with recovery either? There must be more to the no touch and go story than what they are saying, but just used this as an excuse. Perhaps they can make more money on flight time when the student has to taxi back before taking off again.

Well there is the point when you get too lean and the motor stops doing it’s thing.

Still doesn't damage the engine.

If you ignore the silence, maybe the airframe and prop get damaged. :)

I support the notion that shock cooling is a myth. The jump operation at SDM (San Diego) repeatedly gets TBO out of their engines. But, often, the jump pilot beats the humans to the ground.

Any good jump plane pilot should beat the sky divers to the ground. :D

And yes, most jump planes and trainers easily make it to TBO.

GAMI did some serious instrumentation of engines. IIRC, even a idle power descent did not hit the recommended cooling rate limit.

The highest cooling rate occurred upon engine shutdown.

Well there is the point when you get too lean and the motor stops doing it’s thing.
Continental says you can run it lean to the point its continually misfiring and it won't harm the engine.

When I operated a flight school, I did not permit touch and goes in our aircraft. The effect on the engine was not one of the reasons I did not want touch and goes. My main reason was that in my opinion very little learning occurred during touch and goes as a student pilot is more concerned about the go aspect than the landing. Private pilots we trained that flew regularly completed their training in 45 hours, well below the national average somewhere in the 60's. Anything the instructor said on the go commenting on the landing was never heard by students, whereas a full stop landing and a taxi back allowed time to critique and discuss calmly. There were also safety concerns, particularly with the flaps and trim. A secondary reason was it was hard on tires and tended to induce nose shimmy, particularly when pilots would force the airplane on the ground so they could begin the go.

Back