Touch and go?

Fresh paint!

Special attributes are listed as "rebuildable." :goofy:

A video can be attached to a Trade-a-Plane ad. It would be a riot if someone hacked this guy's account and attached the landing vid. :rofl:

I was expecting to see "Always meticulously flown and maintained by an airline pilot" in the ad.

Only 230 SMOH. Freshly painted bottom, and tires practically unused. Advertising is all in the wording.

Someone ought to call the number and ask a few questions.. see if any 'incidents' get mentioned in a casual conversation.

Am I the only one that feels the seller is a POS for not disclosing the gear up? I certainly hope he comes clean with anyone who calls about the plane.

Am I the only one that feels the seller is a POS for not disclosing the gear up? I certainly hope he comes clean with anyone who calls about the plane.

Nah, that's part of every buyers due diligence responsibility. The first thing everyone asks me when they called on mine was 'any damage history?'. If the seller then lies, or won't show the books, then it's another story. But no need to advertise it and scare away people needlessly.

I also think there's a neurosis about slight damage history. There's nothing that says that repaired damage to good IA standards somehow makes a bad plane. Most complex airframes have had some kind of minor incident over their 30-50 year career.

Considering the plane needs props, you would think it would come up.

I find it odd how fast this guy got this plane listed. Unless he's trying to get one over on a buyer, why would he immediately list it instead of making an insurance claim and having it repaired. Something isn't right here.

Considering the plane needs props, you would think it would come up.

I find it odd how fast this guy got this plane listed. Unless he's trying to get one over on a buyer, why would he immediately list it instead of making an insurance claim and having it repaired. Something isn't right here.

Likely there is no insurance...

If that was the case, then maybe he can't afford a double teardown and just needs to sell. That at least makes some sense. If so, talk about an expensive mistake, ouch!

If you can't afford doing a double teardown, you need to carry insurance.

So, insurance pays if you mistakenly forget to put the gear down. What about if the gear had a mechanical issue and wouldn't come down? They'd pay for the engine work but not to fix the gear, right?

Here is his side of the story: http://www.wpbf.com/news/exclusive-plane-skids-takes-off-without-landing-gear/32514186

"The gear was down, and I saw that I was going a little faster than I liked, because you have to stop quickly," Georgaklis said.
That's when Georgaklis said he raised the gear and skidded across the runway.
Georgaklis said flight controllers told him there were no parts to fix the plane.
"I thought about it, and I said, 'Forget it. Let's go back home,'" Georgaklis said.

Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

The ad says "rebuildable." I doubt the belly damage has been fixed.

I'm guessing that story might be a hindrance to a successful 709 ride.

Here is his side of the story: http://www.wpbf.com/news/exclusive-plane-skids-takes-off-without-landing-gear/32514186

"The gear was down, and I saw that I was going a little faster than I liked, because you have to stop quickly," Georgaklis said.
Georgaklis said flight controllers told him there were no parts to fix the plane.
"I thought about it, and I said, 'Forget it. Let's go back home,'" Georgaklis said.

Really, a gear up landing is better then a go-around?! Flying with bent props is better then waiting for a part?! This guy is full of @#$%

Really, a gear up landing is better then a go-around?! Flying with bent props is better then waiting for a part?! This guy is full of @#$%

His account seems contradicted by the video, where someone points out the gear is up right before the ground contact begins.

Again, I'm going with reflex action, later deconstructed to make it look like it was a carefully weighed "decision". I really doubt that it was.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that story might be a hindrance to a successful 709 ride.

He's 85 and selling his plane after a very public gear up. I'm guessing he doesn't expect to fly much anymore. But he needs a story to counteract the viral humiliation, at least in his own mind. It's also entirely possible that it is not completely clear to him what actually happened.

Someone pranged one of our club mooneys at a nearby field and flew it back to home base with curled up prop tips. The hub was damaged and its a miracle she didn't lose a blade.

I had a student bounce a wheel landing in a Citabria - actually it was the third bounce that got it.

We both heard something. WHOP-WHOP-WHOP. We hoped it was an acoustic phenomenon as the blades came very close to the ground. No vibration or anything untoward, we flew it the short distance back from Opa Locka West to Opa Locka, the plane's home base.

On shutting down, sure enough an inch or two of each blade was curled back. Though I was PIC and responsible, we split the cost of a new prop.

As an aside, we did not do a teardown - at the time it was just suggested to do more frequent oil changes for a while and inspect the filter. I know now the guidelines for teardown are much more stringent.

Too soon? :D

landing-plane.jpg

Flight controllers told him there were no parts available? Say what?

What controllers could possibly have any information on parts availability? Even an A&P would have trouble in the minute or so this event took. It takes more than that to call suppliers or even look on a shelf.

What an incredibly crappy lie. He would have done better to say his dog told him there were no parts.

And then there's this one. 1990 Harrison, AR air show. This Mig was at the bottom of a loop. Only reported damage was scratched paint. Piloted by Doug Schultz.

Well, to be fair, I really doubt he would have had a prop strike even if it had been much more substantial…. :D

Now, the turbine might have gotten a bit whacked, which would scare the $@#% out of me, and there is no way I'd fly that sucker home. I've seen what a thrown blade can do.

Well, to be fair, I really doubt he would have had a prop strike even if it had been much more substantial…. :D

Now, the turbine might have gotten a bit whacked, which would scare the $@#% out of me, and there is no way I'd fly that sucker home. I've seen what a thrown blade can do.

I think he was debating whether or not to go around when the controller chimed in and said it would take them 3 weeks to get MiG props. I'd have done the same thing -- just hold the nose up and fly it off. Of course I always file flight plans so this crap never happens to me. :D

Back