Touch and go at a military base

Most, if any, USAF bases don't have PARs anymore now that the newer planes have ILS onboard. I'm not positive but the only PAR equipment in the USAF is the mobile radar units (see my profile for a pic of one, the MPN-14) assigned to Combat Communications
units at Robins AFB (5th CCG) and ANG Combat Communication Squadrons. You might be able to do a Surveillance Approach though.

USAF guys needing a practice PAR go to Navy fields. They are about the only ones still doing them. (in the US)

Most, if any, USAF bases don't have PARs anymore now that the newer planes have ILS onboard. I'm not positive but the only PAR equipment in the USAF is the mobile radar units (see my profile for a pic of one, the MPN-14) assigned to Combat Communications
units at Robins AFB (5th CCG) and ANG Combat Communication Squadrons. You might be able to do a Surveillance Approach though.

USAF guys needing a practice PAR go to Navy fields. They are about the only ones still doing them. (in the US)
We've got one at McGuire (KWRI)

Pretty much all Army & Marine fields have PAR as well. Getting one at a Marine base might be hit or miss for civilian though. We didn't even allow a practice low approach when I was in.

Pretty much all Army & Marine fields have PAR as well. Getting one at a Marine base might be hit or miss for civilian though. We didn't even allow a practice low approach when I was in.

They are pretty accommodating at Yuma Intl/MCAS.

They are pretty accommodating at Yuma Intl/MCAS.

Yeah joint base should be no problem. At NKX and NBC I don't recall a single civil aircraft doing a PAR unless they were an emergency or they had a CALP. It was a while ago so they may have changed.

Yeah joint base should be no problem. At NKX and NBC I don't recall a single civil aircraft doing a PAR unless they were an emergency or they had a CALP. It was a while ago so they may have changed.

Most "joint base" places only welcome "large" aircraft - you still need a PPR for a Cessna.

Some fields have arrestor cables (even AFBs) across the runway and they don't want unfamiliar pilots catching a wheel on one. That and it's against regs without prior permission as others have said.

That said, join CAP because they operate in and out of AFBs quite frequently with permission. My squadron kept a plane at Buckley AFB so we went in there a lot, obviously.

A few years back, we came into the overhead at Buckley, and our interval was a CAP plane. They requested to extend upwind to watch us fly around and land. Never saw them land or pull into the t-line, but I would have gladly shown them the jet. Oh well.

Most "joint base" places only welcome "large" aircraft - you still need a PPR for a Cessna.

Never seen anything that says you need a PPR to use KNYL, KCHS, KGUS, or KBLV in a Cessna. Yeah you aren't gonna be able to park on the military ramp and they probably prohibit student training per their LOA, but you can still land there whether you are flying a regional jet or a 152.

Never seen anything that says you need a PPR to use KNYL, KCHS, KGUS, or KBLV in a Cessna. Yeah you aren't gonna be able to park on the military ramp and they probably prohibit student training per their LOA, but you can still land there whether you are flying a regional jet or a 152.

This is true, they do not distinguish between size, just military and civil.

I'm an FAA guy running approach to an AF facility with one runway paid for by the USAF and another paid for by the local government. Anyone and everyone is welcome to use the local government runway and use the services provided by the Airmen in the tower. Touch and goes, pattern work, doesn't matter. Nobody, however, will use the military runway without either a) being a military flight b) having prior authorization or c) eating concrete.

We still have a PAR at Davis-Monthan AFB. It is not used all that much but we continue to train controllers to use it. There are two of us in the tower that own our own planes. If there isn't enough military PAR requests for a certification, we'll go fly PAR approaches to train new people. Its a win-win. I'm getting paid and I'm getting PIC time.

But we don't touch the runway.

We still have a PAR at Davis-Monthan AFB. It is not used all that much but we continue to train controllers to use it. There are two of us in the tower that own our own planes. If there isn't enough military PAR requests for a certification, we'll go fly PAR approaches to train new people. Its a win-win. I'm getting paid and I'm getting PIC time.

But we don't touch the runway.

I see that the FAA's Airport/Facility Directory entry for your airbase lists PAR under Radio Aids to Navigation. Does anyone know if that's consistent at military fields? I.e., if it's not listed, is that a reliable indicator that the field does not have PAR capability?

I see that the FAA's Airport/Facility Directory entry for your airbase lists PAR under Radio Aids to Navigation. Does anyone know if that's consistent at military fields? I.e., if it's not listed, is that a reliable indicator that the field does not have PAR capability?

Consistent with both military and civilian. Or you can look in the front of the approach plate in the radar mins section.

Before 9/11 I used to get practice ILSs at Andrews. We couldn't touch the pavement but they were quite accommodating to service the approaches. I don't know if this is still possible and haven't tried.

Grissom Air Force base (GUS) permits civilian operations (including landings) with no prior permission required, and has a civilian FBO side of the airport. You can park at the civilian FBO and get a ride over to the military air museum. I don't know if this is just a one-off situation or if there are other Air Force bases where this is also possible.

Grissom is a joint use civil/military facility, meaning that it has a civilian side which you are referring to. If you land at a pure Air Force Base without authorization, Security Forces will be happy to put the muzzle of an M4 to your back and sic the K9 on you. It will make their 12 hour shift go by a lot quicker.

Back