touch and go and KMSP around 9pm?

\__[Ô]__/

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
david
touch and go at KMSP around 9pm?

I'll be flying into and out of South St Paul (SGS) tomorrow night in a 182. It occurs to me that MSP is right there... What are my odds of getting approved to do a touch and go at MSP as I'm leaving SGS around 9pm at night? Would I get charged a landing fee for doing so?

If this is possible, what would be the best way to try to set this up without being a PITA to everyone else (I was planning to fly IFR out of SGS if that matters)?

Last edited:
I was told by a MSP tower worker that if I requested a touch-and-go in a Cessna 172 late at night, they would most likely let me (I think she was thinking like midnight-ish).

You may want to call the tower and ask how busy they think things will be on that date/time, and what they think of that idea...?

someone else knows more than me, I'm sure.

One of the instructors I worked with a bit would take some of his instrument students in there. I don't recall him saying there was any problem doing it.

I was told by a MSP tower worker that if I requested a touch-and-go in a Cessna 172 late at night, they would most likely let me (I think she was thinking like midnight-ish).

You may want to call the tower and ask how busy they think things will be on that date/time, and what they think of that idea...?

someone else knows more than me, I'm sure.

That is a good idea. Lambert allowed me - but I called the tower first and they said that they were there for pilots, but off peak times would be looked at more favorably.....it doesn't hurt to call.

Sounds like calling first is the best plan. Anyone know where I can track down the number for Minneapolis tower?

If you just land and taxi back for take-off there's no need to wonder about it. Is there some particular reason you want to do a touch-and-go?
Jon

If you just land and taxi back for take-off there's no need to wonder about it. Is there some particular reason you want to do a touch-and-go?
Jon

I assumed a touch and go would be less disruptive. I was also hoping it would avoid a landing fee, but I don't know about that.

Hey der Minnie tower, Bugsmasher 222, how are yoooou?
Kin I get some of that Minnesota Nice and be cleared for the option, dontcha know?

Bugsmasher 222, you betcha! I'll call yer base if that would be ok with you'n all...

Jesse and I did it at like 11:30pm once, it was a non-issue.

Call Flight service and get the MSP number from them. Talk to them in advance and see if 9pm might work, it depends on the traffic.
If your going to do a touch and go or a full stop and taxi back, have a good airport diagram handy and study it in advance so you know where you're going on the ground and don't become a pain in the a**.
30L would be your best bet with a left turn onto W and back again, that would keep you away from airline traffic on the ground. If you get behind any corporate jets on the ground, keep your distance, don't forget about jet blast.

Last edited:
Re: touch and go at KMSP around 9pm?

\__[Ô]__/;1586576 said:
I'll be flying into and out of South St Paul (SGS) tomorrow night in a 182. It occurs to me that MSP is right there... What are my odds of getting approved to do a touch and go at MSP as I'm leaving SGS around 9pm at night? Would I get charged a landing fee for doing so?

If this is possible, what would be the best way to try to set this up without being a PITA to everyone else (I was planning to fly IFR out of SGS if that matters)?

First place to go to answer a question like this is the Airport/Facility Directory. In the case of MSP, there is a note in the A/FD under airport remarks that says "Training flights prohibited". That generally means touch and gos are prohibited. And yes, probably because they want to be able to charge the landing fee.

Might a controller clear you for a touch and go? Maybe, but I wouldn't expect it, based on the A/FD.

Many moons ago (2002 or 2003) I was riding backseat in a 172 and we had a flight plan filed for STP. While enroute with no traffic on Mpls Center, my buddy asked "Mpls Center, Cessna 70U, any chance of getting into MSP tonight?" "Standby" .. A few minutes later "Cessna 70U, Mpls Center, expect vectors runway 12L". We landed on 12L with a UA 737 on the parallel. Taxied to Signature who not only did not charge us a landing fee, they did not require us to buy fuel either.

Touch and goes? How about full stops. I've done these at around 11PM at IAD. Here you don't owe a landing fee until you leave the movement area (and the landing fee is trivial compared to the FBO gouge fees).

Back