Totally burned out on training

PHXAvi8tor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PHXAvi8tor
At the risk of getting skewered (I usually do when I share my personal feelings), I am completely fried from working on my Double I.

I have completed all the lessons in the syllabus. I have met most of the PTS; however, there are a few areas I feel I need some work, and I don't mind working on those areas.

But, overall, I feel like a dog chasing its tail: The more I study, the less I know.

Because I already am a working CFI, I spent the weekend teaching three different VFR students basic flight instruments and their systems. I've been teaching this topic for two years-plus now. But, tomorrow, I have to drag myself out of bed at 0400 local and "student teach" flight instruments and their systems (even though I already taught this lesson for the CFII four weeks ago and since have taught it -- for real -- to real, live students at least twice since then, as well.

I see no end in sight. I've already addressed it with the instructor. Got the usual response: "Well, you and me will know when you are ready. And, you should know what the PTS says by now..."

I'm going to burn out before getting there, I am afraid.

Oh, and I have already considered the usual responses I could make, ie, dump the instructor, go to a different school, etc. None of those really seems exactly like the correct answer, for a variety of reasons.

But, taking a break doesn't, either. It's a challenge just to keep rust from forming between ground and flights. (I've also got the double challenge of doing the Double I in all G-1000 aircraft, while also being sure I can still teach the old steam-gauge system for the Instrument rating.)

Last edited:
Well, you got a grin out of me. That's nothing compared to going form T33 trainee to P3 skipper in about 60 days. I'm 55 and still find myself at 0200 occasionally realizing I'm running a RED LOCKHEED ONLY checklist in my head. It's been 35 years.

You will prevail. What's killing you is the sense of "I am not ready". My question is, "What the heck is 'ready'?"

Ben,

I'm going to take the offensive here. Try to remember I'm on your side and focus the response to something productive.

At the risk of getting skewered (I usually do when I share my personal feelings), I am completely fried from working on my Double I.
Not this time

I have completed all the lessons in the syllabus. I have met most of the PTS; however, there are a few areas I feel I need some work, and I don't mind working on those areas.
OK sit down make a syllabus for yourself. Objectives, completion standards and a plan of action.

But, overall, I feel like a dog chasing its tail: The more I study, the less I know.
Any intellectual endeavor should produce more questions than it answers.

Because I already am a working CFI, I spent the weekend teaching three different VFR students basic flight instruments and their systems. I've been teaching this topic for two years-plus now. But, tomorrow, I have to drag myself out of bed at 0400 local and "student teach" flight instruments and their systems (even though I already taught this lesson for the CFII four weeks ago and since have taught it -- for real -- to real, live students at least twice since then, as well.
What happens if you say I don't start before 0800?

I see no end in sight. I've already addressed it with the instructor. Got the usual response: "Well, you and me will know when you are ready. And, you should know what the PTS says by now..."
Seems to me we went through this with your CFI. By we I mean you with me sitting hear thinking about flying to Phoenix to have a little talk with your instructor.

My real advice is to sit back and think about your students that think they are ready before you do. Sometimes they are right and others you are. Think about it from the other side, in this case the instructor side.

I have only heard your side of the story, but from there it sounds like you are ready. The "you know the PTS as well as I do" is the key. Screw that getting up at 0300 to show up at 0400 to teach his student. Sit down with the PTS and pencil and paper and make a list. I'm comfortable with this task, that task needs work, we haven't talked about the other one.

Take charge of your training. Come in with a plan and say this is what I need to do, 1, 2, 3.

I'm going to burn out before getting there, I am afraid.
Not if you take charge.

Oh, and I have already considered the usual responses I could make, ie, dump the instructor, go to a different school, etc. None of those really seems exactly like the correct answer, for a variety of reasons.

But, taking a break doesn't, either. It's a challenge just to keep rust from forming between ground and flights. (I've also got the double challenge of doing the Double I in all G-1000 aircraft, while also being sure I can still teach the old steam-gauge system for the Instrument rating.)
Got it. You are a teacher and should be able to figure out what you have to learn. TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR TRAINING. It works so much better that way.

Joe

Sounds like it's long past time to tell your CFI that you're ready, and if he doesn't see why, ask him to show you what the problem is and then sign you off for the checkride.

Yep. A 1,2,3 process has evolved into quantum physics.

Specifically, with PTS in hand, where does your instructor specifically perceive the weaknesses that specifically preclude signing you off? His "I think you think we think" line is pure bullsiht. He's clueless at this point, badly over his head and incapable of pulling the trigger.

Something has to happen to break this logjam. It has all the ingredients of a three-chord co-dependent country love song.

Sounds like it's long past time to tell your CFI that you're ready, and if he doesn't see why, ask him to show you what the problem is and then sign you off for the checkride.

Good luck. I've been there. You've probably been there before. Everyone here is pulling for you. No advice from me, just "I care."

Sorry but I think this is a BS answer. If you can't figure out specifically what you need to work on then your instructor should tell you. That's what you're paying him or her for. Maybe it's your instructor who has the issues. Some of them are overly cautious about signing off a student who is ready for the same self-confidence reasons that students are reluctant to go ahead with the checkride.

Sorry but I think this is a BS answer. If you can't figure out specifically what you need to work on then your instructor should tell you. That's what you're paying him or her for. Maybe it's your instructor who has the issues. Some of them are overly cautious about signing off a student who is ready for the same self-confidence reasons that students are reluctant to go ahead with the checkride.

Agreed.

You both should know if you are ready to safely fly in the system.

The PTS is a spot-check validation of that fact.

Ben,

I'm going to take the offensive here. Try to remember I'm on your side and focus the response to something productive.

Not this time

OK sit down make a syllabus for yourself. Objectives, completion standards and a plan of action.

Any intellectual endeavor should produce more questions than it answers.

What happens if you say I don't start before 0800?

Seems to me we went through this with your CFI. By we I mean you with me sitting hear thinking about flying to Phoenix to have a little talk with your instructor.

My real advice is to sit back and think about your students that think they are ready before you do. Sometimes they are right and others you are. Think about it from the other side, in this case the instructor side.

I have only heard your side of the story, but from there it sounds like you are ready. The "you know the PTS as well as I do" is the key. Screw that getting up at 0300 to show up at 0400 to teach his student. Sit down with the PTS and pencil and paper and make a list. I'm comfortable with this task, that task needs work, we haven't talked about the other one.

Take charge of your training. Come in with a plan and say this is what I need to do, 1, 2, 3.

Not if you take charge.

Got it. You are a teacher and should be able to figure out what you have to learn. TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR TRAINING. It works so much better that way.

Joe

Good feedback. Thanks!

<snip>

<snip>

That is usually my best sign that I am ready to take the test. By the time I have studied to the point I feel like I don't know anything about the subject I seriously start looking to take the test.

Like it has already been said if you and your instructor can't find any Specific area's you need to be better in, go take the test. Even if you do have a few weak areas go take the test anyway, What is the worst that can happen? Fail and have to retake the checkride? Remember you would likely only have to retest on the areas you failed.

My DPE says his attitude on his checkrides was, "Let try it, everything I do right is one less thing I will have to do on the retest." :)

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Thanks for all the feedback. It helped refocus me.

I have scheduled a sit-down session in 24 hours with the instructor to go through the PTS -- with me (not her) identifying any areas that remain to be worked on.

Being honest with myself, there are one or two areas that could use just a little bit of brush-up. But, nothing major.

The instructor really supported this new approach, which tells me she was just as lost as I was. Someone had to take charge, and since we're both CFIs, we were the blind leading the blind, and we just had to get back to teaching basics.

I like Brian's philosophy: By the time you study to the point you feel you just don't know anything, then that's the time when you are likely ready. That describes me right now!

I think you need to take some guns, explosives and Peyote out into the desert and relax for a weekend, kinda a "Vision Quest meets Rambo". That oughta set you straight.

I think you need to take some guns, explosives and Peyote out into the desert and relax for a weekend, kinda a "Vision Quest meets Rambo". That oughta set you straight.

Interesting idea.

Back