Total Solar Eclipse on Monday, April 8, 2024

Does anyone thing it is slightly amazing that we know exactly when and where these events occur?
I can't hardly keep track of the moon's unpredictable visitations, yet we know way in advance, incredible details of the next eclipse.
AND we have been doing this for thousands of years.
If you don't think it's difficult to predict the next eclipse, well.....go! (I wouldn't have a clue where to begin.)
(Other than googling, lol)

Moon and unpredictable? What?

It cycles every 28ish days (depends on whether you use the stars or sun as a reference point), has an inclination(means it bobs up and down once as it makes an orbit) of about 5 degrees , and a slightly egg shaped orbit. From there it's relatively simple math to find the total eclipses and the answer to the question of "when is there a new moon when it crosses (near) the plane of the earth's orbit around the sun and is on the close(r) approach of it's orbit?"

Last edited:
Moon and unpredictable? What?

It cycles every 28ish days (depends on whether you use the stars or sun as a reference point), has an inclination(means it bobs up and down once as it makes an orbit) of about 5 degrees , and a slightly egg shaped orbit. From there it's relatively simple math to find the total eclipses and the answer to the question of "when is there a new moon when it crosses (near) the plane of the earth's orbit around the sun and is on the close(r) approach of it's orbit?"
Dude, we live in a world where half the people think chemtrails are real and the other half thinks that climate change isn't. If we could somehow capture scientific illiteracy as an energy source, we could power the world many times over! :p :D

KRID - Richmond, IN - $100 parking
KBMG - Bloomington, IN - $50 landing fee with PPR slot required plus $120 parking for a piston single
Which FBO is charging $120? Or is it both? Guess I can cross that one off my list.
Solution to all possible Eclipse problems:
Start at 3:50 to avoid a really annoying irrelevant advertisement.
The ad doesn't start until about 3:20, so it's worth starting the video at the beginning. Pretty dang cool.

I wonder what happened to that airframe. Er, I wondered for a few seconds before I looked it up. Turns out it still has the eclipse portholes, and is sitting in the museum at Le Bourget. I wonder if they can make it airworthy in a week? :D

65AR if you like grass and short runways. Two runways, only one is listed. Plenty of parking and camping spots. Bathrooms and a shower is available. No fuel, tie downs, or cost. PM me if you think you might fly in and would like more information.

Models now showing the front move through earlier, clearing the skies for the eclipse.
6ccc6c94db9f60d6492d68dbde40f870.jpg

If anyone is interested, I will be doing series of weather outlook videos for the eclipse. Check out the first video here on my YouTube channel. Next one will likely be on Saturday afternoon.
These are fab. Very much appreciated. Daily update for today-

These are fab. Very much appreciated. Daily update for today-
Thanks. It's like watching a very, very slow horse race..."and it's Maine that takes the lead while Indiana begins to fall back by two lengths with Ohio dead last...and wait, Texas is gaining distance and passing Indiana and closing in on Maine. And down the stretch they come...will Texas be able to eclipse Maine?" pun intended.

I've got my own "skin in the game" for this...so you are seeing all of the rumblings in my own brain. Please spread the word!

Last edited:
We were planning to fly to Dallas for the eclipse. 7-8 hours of flight in the Malibu.

Unfortunately the current weather forecast doesn't look good for the whole state of TX along the totality path. Not willing to fly farther than that. We may have to find some commercial flights to some place further east.

What are the tops forecast to be, might be only visible while airborne?

As another point of reference, it is nice to see that some of the forecasters at the NWS WFOs are providing an eclipse forecast in the AFD. Here's the AFD for DFW.

DFW-AFD.png

As another point of reference, it is nice to see that some of the forecasters at the NWS WFOs are providing an eclipse forecast in the AFD. Here's the AFD for DFW.

View attachment 127395
Appreciate your info!
Do you have the link for the AFDs handy? Is there one for Austin?

These guys know Texas weather pretty well:

If anyone is interested, I will be doing series of weather outlook videos for the eclipse. Check out the first video here on my YouTube channel. Next one will likely be on Saturday afternoon.
Scott, thanks for doing these - very helpful. We are heading to Burlington (BTV), looking good so far!

We are right in the path of totality here in S. Central TX, plan to watch from my hangar. Unfortunately, early WX forecast is for mostly cloudy skies at totality. The last eclipse here, the annular one in October 2023 was totally overcast until right before maximum, when the clouds thinned for a few minutes, long enough to get a few photos:

38620010.jpg

Back