Torrey Pines

I visited Torrey Pines when they had a Vintage Sailplane Association regatta there a few years ago. Wind was 20K from the west. Everything was flying back and forth just above the cliff: gliders, Radio controlled gliders, paragliders, hang gliders, seagulls. I bought a ride with an instructor in a hang-glider. It was awesome. Probably the bravest thing I've ever done ... you literally step off the side of a 300 foot cliff (or however high it is).

I'd hate to see Torrey Pines flying go away. College dorm. Puullleeeeezzzzz.

... Bill

I used to (1992) live up the street from it, and I don't recall seeing any gliders. Lots of hang and paragliders. I hope its not too bad, but it would just be like SoCal to have this great resource and loose it to development.

ooooh vintage sailplane regatta, i need to get the Cherokee to one of those soon. sounds like fun bill, id love to fly some ridge

I had a good look at that site from the air Sunday; made me want to visit the place when they're flying there. I think it's the only seaside cliff site in the US used for this sort of flying.
I've heard a little about this threat... somebody made a contractor remove two stories from a building going up near Lindbergh (KSAN) recently, so maybe there's hope yet. :fcross:

Last edited:
Back