Tornadoes in MO and MS

3 killed in Missouri, just over the Kansas border. Airport damage at Tupelo, MS.
I kept checking with my Mom who is staying at our farm and there were tornadoes north and south of the farm, but no damage at the farm. I finally heard from Barb and she's OK. Talked with Dean who was headed out to warn the campers at the Stockton State Park camp sites that they needed to take cover but haven't heard back from him. Still haven't heard back from my friend Bill who lives near Granby/Neosho, MO where there were reported injuries from a tornado.

We had the tail end of that system come through the southern part of the state around 2am this morning. The north end of MS and AL got kicked pretty hard all night.

I went out to the airport after lunch today to check on things and the power is off due to downed lines. I would have been upset, because the hangar bi-fold door is electric, but it was so gusty it would have been a rough ride, so I decided I didn't need to fly so bad after all.

Maybe tomorrow.

Well, it turns out that we did have a tree down and lots of branches everywhere, so we'll be busy when we get home. Still can't get in touch with one other friend who was in the path.

Talked with Dean who was headed out to warn the campers at the Stockton State Park camp sites that they needed to take cover but haven't heard back from him.

Sorry Diana, I forgot to call you back last night. All is fine here, the bad stuff went south of us. Rudy and Charlene said to tell you Hi and that they are sorry to hear about Bill's loss. Thanks for checking on us and giving us the heads up on the storm. See ya when you get home.

We had the tail end of that system come through the southern part of the state around 2am this morning. The north end of MS and AL got kicked pretty hard all night.

I had to delay my departure from Oak Ridge, MO (near CGI) this AM due to wind gusts up to 40 knots. I have only 12,000 pounds of lawn mowers holding me down on this run, so 30-35 knots crosswind is enough to tip me over.

I went out to the airport after lunch today to check on things and the power is off due to downed lines. I would have been upset, because the hangar bi-fold door is electric, but it was so gusty it would have been a rough ride, so I decided I didn't need to fly so bad after all.

Ugh.. That reminds me of when I was working at MWC. We had a power outage one morning, and the King Air had to go out on a charter that afternoon. So, I spent about four hours with a massive socket wrench, riding the door up as I manually cranked it. NOT fun. :no:

I was in the area today, visiting family for Mothers day. My wife and I grew up in Jopin and Neosho. We had a heck of a time getting to my in-laws house after a 1/4 mile wide tornado tracked about 4 miles south of their house. Many roads were still closed and power will be out for a long time.

The amount of destruction is amazing and quite sadding at the same time. Throughout the day we got several reports of old friends and aquaintences in the area that were affected. Everyone we know are physically okay, but some of their homes were ripped from around them.

I had to delay my departure from Oak Ridge, MO (near CGI) this AM due to wind gusts up to 40 knots. I have only 12,000 pounds of lawn mowers holding me down on this run, so 30-35 knots crosswind is enough to tip me over.
Drive safe!
Ugh.. That reminds me of when I was working at MWC. We had a power outage one morning, and the King Air had to go out on a charter that afternoon. So, I spent about four hours with a massive socket wrench, riding the door up as I manually cranked it. NOT fun. :no:
In four hours you could have gone to the local Home Depot, rented a generator, lifted the door, used the tug to pull the KA out, lowered the door again, and returned the generator. Brains, not Brawn! I KNOW you have 'em! :goofy:

Drive safe!
In four hours you could have gone to the local Home Depot, rented a generator, lifted the door, used the tug to pull the KA out, lowered the door again, and returned the generator. Brains, not Brawn! I KNOW you have 'em! :goofy:

Yeah, but I was a poor college student without a credit card... And you think they'd let me LEAVE and SPEND MONEY??? Hah!

Back