Tornado warnings

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Now that we are under tornado watch and about to turn in, I got to thinking is there some way to leave the puter on, and set up to beep when spotters report one in our area? Seems like it should be within our capabilities today.

Check your local news/weather station website - seems like most of them have some sort of 'weather bug' you can install in your taskbar and have running in the background. Not sure if NWS or any gov't agency has anything, though.

some weather sites also can call your phone for pre determined criteria.

Gee I jsut have a WX radio with the SAME codes programed in it.

Did they ever fix that so it doesn't alarm and wake you up when a new watch begins or worse yet when a watch expires? I looked at this when they first came out and decided the feature was virtually useless to me.

Now that we are under tornado watch and about to turn in, I got to thinking is there some way to leave the puter on, and set up to beep when spotters report one in our area? Seems like it should be within our capabilities today.

Dave,

www.weatherbug.com

Download and install. You can set with level of alerts will set off the computer's speaker, even with the free version.

Weatherbug is spyware and annoyware and pop-up ware.

Annoyware, I agree with, if you don't configure it after install and just leave everything set at defaults. It will ping and beep and annoy the snot out of you for every little alert ("oh my God, there's a BREEZE!"). But if you take a few moments to set it up to only alert on major events, warnings, alerts, it works just fine.

I would like to see some proof that it's spyware. I've not heard that, it's not flagged by any of my spyware software either. It doesn't report back to the weatherbug people the sites I visit, or what's on my hard drive. Please explain why you feel it's spyware.

Professional reviewers don't categorize it as spyware, either:

http://www.pchell.com/support/weatherbug.shtml

They do note that it's ad supported, so you're gonna see some ads, but they are not obtrusive, just shown on the side of the forecast window. If you want to pay for a subscription, you can make the ads go away, too.

He could use the Weather Channel's software:

http://www.weather.com/services/twcalerts.html

Last edited:
I prefer Wunderground.com. I can pick any number of favorite locations as well as a default. I can view raw METAR or translated. It provides a great radar animation. There's a seven-day looksee and an hourly temperature forecast. You can view it for free with ads or you can pay a whopping $5 a year and skip the ads. I've had it two years, thus far. It's well worth the $5.

Back