Tornado Air

I've heard of planes "turning on a dime" but that's different! I really don't know what make planes they are but I'm guessing they weigh at least 75,000 to 100,000 pounds.

I've heard of planes "turning on a dime" but that's different! I really don't know what make planes they are but I'm guessing they weigh at least 75,000 to 100,000 pounds.

Those looked like RJs to me. Their max take off weights are right around 50,000lbs. I'll bet they were empty though and their weights were close to 26,000lbs. But that is still a lot to move around. But with those winds there may also have been some lift generated. So all the would have to overcome would e the reduced friction of the wheels.

Several years ago a tornado went through 15G. Aircraft in trees, tails twisted off Cessna 150's - 172's, aircraft pulled tie down pilings out of the ground, wings bent up at 90 degrees ad piled on top of each other in a heap. We lost some 13 aircraft, no one injured.

Didn't have a digital back then, will look for the pics to scan.

Gary Gembala

Great illustration of the law of primacy in learning. I always tell my students to NEVER walk away from an airplane without making sure it's chocked and tied down. Do they listen?

MM

I always tell my students to NEVER walk away from an airplane without making sure it's chocked and tied down.

You think that would help? I took the below photos at the S.D. Air & Space Museum (next to Ellsworth AFB last summer. The EC-135 had uprooted its tiedowns and dragged them about ten feet.

EC-135 Composite.jpg

Nothing else appeared to have been touched. I couldn't figure that out, but the security cam video does show how one or two aircraft can be completely discombobulated while stuff right next to them, like the jetways, aren't even touched.

Regards,
Joe

The EC-135 had uprooted its tiedowns and dragged them about ten feet.

View attachment 7468

Now THATS funny! It's like tying your German Shepard out in the yard with a thumb tack!

Found my old pictures from 2000 when Skypark had a tornado run down the runway. Lost 11 of 14 rental aircraft. Most were torn lose from the tie downs, rolled on their sides and piled up in a heap. Note wings bent up 90 and tails twisted off. Others had to be retrieved from the trees.

Absolutely amazing what the wind can do.

19 aricraft now on the line to rent / flight training.

Great Airport Community and Flight School. (15G)

Gary Gembala

Attachments

• skypark1.JPG
    skypark1.JPG
    882.8 KB · Views: 20
  • skypark2.JPG
    skypark2.JPG
    850.7 KB · Views: 19
  • skypark3.JPG
    skypark3.JPG
    812 KB · Views: 8
  • skypark four.JPG
    skypark four.JPG
    961 KB · Views: 20
Last year we had a wind storm, not even a torndado, rip up about 8 airplanes. 5 were littleraly piled one on top of another against a small hanger. A closed hanger door was ripped off and placed on top of a 172. Our Katana was ripped off its tie downs and sliced through a cherokee. All airplanes were tied down. There was no warning, it was just a typical Florida stormy night....with one HECK of a gust of wind.

I proudly say I was the last to fly our 172....it was perfectly fine.

Back