Torn Knee Ligament - Hypothetical Question

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
Hypothetically, would a torn knee ligament have any short term or long term effects on a pilot's medical (first class)?

Thanks

You should tell RG3 he has bigger things to worry about than his second career as an airline pilot.

That being said, personal experience is no, as long as one can work the rudder pedals when in extremis.

When we return to service, a captain with such, the docuemntation includes, "can hold 60 lbs of extension pressure with affected knee" or whatever the TCDS/AFM says for his type. We look up the value.

Also which ligament?

Not sure exactly. It is on the left leg and the pain in just bellow the knee cap on the inner and outer sides of the leg (a bit more on the inner side).
It also is impossible to apply enough rudder pressure to cruise on a single engine (not even talking about climbing).

Based on my super extremely low knowledge on this topic, I suspect such an injury should heal within a couple of weeks, but that's not really saying much.

Lets say the damage was done by a hitting and twisting force...

Get some healthcare, Mach. Non diagnosis and the sequelae will screw up your future more than getting it diagnosed in the current time. Your self diagnosis doesn't really help us out much :(

Based on my super extremely low knowledge on this topic, I suspect such an injury should heal within a couple of weeks,
Ligaments don't heal themselves. Ask Marcus Lattimore or my dog Beauregard. And you really don't want to know how much tibial plateau leveling osteotomy (TPLO) surgery costs when all of a dog's cruciate ligaments are torn.

Last edited:
Ligaments don't heal themselves. Ask Marcus Lattimore or my dog Beauregard. And you really don't want to know how much tibial plateau leveling osteotomy (TPLO) surgery costs when all of a dog's cruciate ligaments are torn.

Got it...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back