Topped Engines and Recommended TBO

Splitting a dissimilar metal seam I'll buy, but not cracking the steel barrel.

The only time I have seen a barrel failure .3 out of the box with a broken ring.

Since then, I have never replaced a cylinder with out removing the piston and inspecting the rings, and valves.

Last edited:
It amazes me the authority someone with little operational experience will speak.

Ok you design engines, great, we are talking aviation engines right??

How many hours are you logging behind aviation engines a month??
I learned long ago...growing up in aviation even before I began flying, that no decent pilot brags about how many hours he has flown. Those who do are generally full of bovine scatology or their opinions of themselves exceed their actual ability.

I learned long ago...growing up in aviation even before I began flying, that no decent pilot brags about how many hours he has flown. Those who do are generally full of bovine scatology or their opinions of themselves exceed their actual ability.

It aint the number of hours one has, just how current someone is, you know this.

I was making a observation that one doesn't want to just pull power and dive, not good for the engine.

It amazes me the authority someone with little operational experience will speak.

Ok you design engines, great, we are talking aviation engines right??

How many hours are you logging behind aviation engines a month??

It amazes me how someone can confuse hours with knowledge.

As Fearless pointed out, it's not relevant. In fact, knowledge of aviation engine operation has effectively zero correlation to flight hours. But since you asked, back when I was a Product Development Engineer (that means design and lots of testing and calibration) for an engine company that used a lot of gray paint, I spent hundreds doing all kinds of things to them that actually taught me how they worked and the details of what was going on inside.

Keep digging, maybe one day you'll hit China.

One thing most of us realize sooner or later, especially working in the IT field is that much of what we think we know is vaporware.

Always challenge your own assumptions as well as what was taught to you as absolute facts. For example the war between the north and south was about economics not slavery. The war against Iraq was about oil not WMDs.

Everyone has an agenda, knowing their agenda sometimes helps to decipher the truth but even then it is tough.

One thing is for sure that there are plenty of folks who will grasp on to a myth and evangelize it as truth.

This is why I tend to put more prudence into what I observer first hand than anything else.

Is that like my claims of only being wrong once in my life, but it turned out I was mistaken.

Ask your local DZ.

The liners are steel, outside of that aluminum, one shrinks faster then the other, power off and decend and...

I've worked on a lot of jumper dumpers and glider tugs and most of them seem to make TBO more regularly than the average joes cessna. I've never seen a cylinder crack from overcooling myself....never heard of one that wasn't a buddies buddies friends wifes tailors mechanics friend who told the tale first. Not too many steel lined aluminum cylinders on airplanes either....

Frank

Here's my take- the guys with technical knowledge say there is no risk to a rapid descent with a sudden change in power, while other guys say there is. I think the guys with technical knowledge are probably right, but since no one is saying that rapid cooling is really good for an engine, there is no harm in letting the engine cool slowly unless it had been overheated, or a really swift descent had safety benefits such as getting out of icing, in which case the engine becomes more of an after thought. I suggest that those who think the slower cooling is a good idea are risking little by following their beliefs. If the other guys are wrong, the free market will eventually take care of it.

Back