Topical Testasterone

U

Unregistered

Topical testasterone treatment (androgel) has been suggested to me by my non-AME physician for low serum testasterone. Called my flight doc who won't give me an answer. He wants me to go to the FAA folks directly. Might I throw this one out to this forum before I go further? Anyone using it?

Although I am getting on in years (late 50's), I am not in bad shape and have no other conditions after a very thorough check-up. I now have a class 1 medical.

If you decide to use test get shots. Once per week.

And here I thought this was going to be about the responses to threads that women start...

Never mind...

Just disregard my post.

Carry on.

Bruce has discussed testosterone replacement therapy before... let's see if we can find threads....

Only thing I found that was really useful was on the AOPA Red Board: http://forums.aopa.org/showthread.php?t=85839

As always, I encourage the OP to discuss this with Dr. Bruce directly to get the correct details about hormone replacement therapy and how it affects an FAA medical. Dr. Bruce isn't posting to this board for the time being, but his contact details can be found via www.aeromedicaldoc.com.

I've been on Testim for almost 2 years. It's a report and a yawn on the physical.

Increased libido, more energy, general overall "feel better" - less curmudgeonly I'm told. :)

I've been on injectable testosterone since before they started the advertising blitz. Was at very, very low levels - so 2x/week injections bring me back up to a mid-normal range. My doc provides a letter with some specific language in it to me signed on letterhead, I provide that to my AME, he says "looks good" and it's a done deal. No need to involve OK City folks.

Seriously, *if* and *when* one *really* needs the treatment due to abnormally low levels, that person will be safer in the sky while on the treatment. Restores lost focus and energy, lots of very real benefits relevant to piloting. Keep in mind, it's enough to restore normal range levels, not body-builder amounts (which are ridiculous, and the side effects are not good).

Maybe the good doc can weigh in, too.

I've been on injectable testosterone since before they started the advertising blitz. Was at very, very low levels - so 2x/week injections bring me back up to a mid-normal range. My doc provides a letter with some specific language in it to me signed on letterhead, I provide that to my AME, he says "looks good" and it's a done deal. No need to involve OK City folks.

Seriously, *if* and *when* one *really* needs the treatment due to abnormally low levels, that person will be safer in the sky while on the treatment. Restores lost focus and energy, lots of very real benefits relevant to piloting. Keep in mind, it's enough to restore normal range levels, not body-builder amounts (which are ridiculous, and the side effects are not good).

Maybe the good doc can weigh in, too.
I think you may need to submit some blood tests including a blood count to show that the dose is not excessive. Greater than physiologic replacement will cause the hematocrit to increase above normal levels.

I doubt that the knowledgeable "good doc" will be here to answer questions. He gave authoritative free advice but some of those here criticized his demeanor and he packed up and left. What a shame.

I think you may need to submit some blood tests including a blood count to show that the dose is not excessive. Greater than physiologic replacement will cause the hematocrit to increase above normal levels.

I doubt that the knowledgeable "good doc" will be here to answer questions. He gave authoritative free advice but some of those here criticized his demeanor and he packed up and left. What a shame.

My doctor's letter includes all that information of course. I have regular bloodwork done as part of the treatment, whether I am flying or not. There are a number of things in the bloodwork to keep an eye on, important to do.

I didn't know about Dr Bruce leaving. That's really too bad. He is as helpful as people get. It gets *way* too nasty here at times, to be sure, and for no good reason other than swinging of appendages really. Too much testosterone maybe? :)

g

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back