Top Gun 3

BTTF part II was way better than the original.

In TG2 WHY are they popping flares against radar guided SAMs?????

Why not just say the ingress is protected by IR SAMs, so flares make sense?
I was thinking the same.... especially since Tom Cruise knows so much about aviation...and seems to have done a very thorough job into trying to get things right....why then do boneheaded stuff like that with such an easy fix

The plywood German Albatros D.1 flew in WW1 and pre-dated the Mosquito by several decades.

The Mosquito is one of my favorite aircraft designs of WW 2. With the exception of the awkward-looking canopy structure, it just looked "right".

Not to mention, they did a little copying of Behind Enemy Lines SAM drag race. With a Mach 3+ missile, there would be no time for Maverick to provide a “flare shield” for Rooster. He would’ve had a missile launch warning and a few seconds to react before he’s toast.

I was thinking the same.... especially since Tom Cruise knows so much about aviation...and seems to have done a very thorough job into trying to get things right....why then do boneheaded stuff like that with such an easy fix
Who knows what got edited out and what was condensed in the name of brevity. It isn't a war documentary, it's a fictional action movie. I mean, not a single F-14 was flown during the filming lol.

Now I'm going to recommend you for a random drug test lol. BTTF original was the best. Then 2, then 3. 3 was just hokey but was more memorable than 2.
I know I know. I was just joking. It’s BTTF I, followed by III and then II.

I enjoyed Top Gun Maverick and thought that it was much better than the original Top Gun, which I also enjoyed. The cockpit scenes it Top Gun Maverick were the real deal, flown in the back seat of F/A 18 Super Hornets.

If they make another movie I can watch and just be entertained rather than preached at, I'll go.

I was torn on TG2. As far as aviation themed movies go it was pretty well done. I enjoyed the part some of the original cast members played. What annoyed me was some of the scenes modeled after the original that didn’t translate well to modern times. I also didn’t like the ground attack aspect though I realize having the ground in sight made for more exciting action scenes for the normal population. I think there is enough interest to keep the franchise going, they just need to know what to move away from and what to keep. TG2 was very nostalgia, I think TG3 needs to be its own movie.
There’s a scene in the aviator where Howard Hughes figures this exact thing out. Had to have clouds to show relative motion

Anyway, cruise hasn’t made a bad movie in many years, so I bet he delivers again in tg3.

Maybe he does the sure fire thing and teams up with Tarantino lol

I really can’t name a sequel that I thought was better than the original. You can pour money into a sequel, bring in bigger actors and better CGI but it still won’t have the same feeling of the original. That’s because it’s a first. An original. After that you’re just rehashing what’s been already been done. Jurassic Park comes to mind.
Godfather II
Meet the Fockers
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

I hope TG3 does not go the Iron Eagle 3 route, where Maverick is retired but has to deal with some cartel problem with his Mustang and a gang of forgettable misfit accomplices in crime. An argument could be made that TG2 was analogous to Iron Eagle 2. Getting people who don't like each other to come together as a team to hit a priority target with an equally dangerous ingress.

"Wonder how she flies."
"A little tight in the turbine and a little loose in the flaps, just like she walks..."

F-16s flown by AI. The Army cancelled their FARA contract because they believe recon can be done better and cheaper unmanned. Kinda wonder how much longer manned fighter / attack aircraft will be relevant on the battlefield.

Sorry, no.

Raiders has a crap story line, as the central character has no effect on the outcome. Take Indy out of the story and the same stuff still happens. In Crusade, Indy is key to the plot resolution. Much, much better story.
How would the US have prevented the Nazis from using the Ark and recovered it?

The Godfather. Part 2 was better. Part 3 was unwatchable.
The story of Part 3 could have been interesting: Trying to find redemption via the Church, but finding it wanting; passing the torch to the next generation; shielding his daughter the way his father tried to protect him. The casting they were stuck with, however...

YHGTBSM. How many years is Maverick going to be in the USN in this one??? Will he be recalled from the Old Sailors Home??? Will he be a honorary Flag Rank like Bud Anderson??? Will there be a AI Goose???

Inquiring minds want to know!
It could be "The son of Maverick" and they can re-cast him as a LTjg.

Top Gun 3.

Battle of the Little Rascal Scooters

“On to Victory! Get off my Yard!”IMG_4380.jpeg

They'll have to be a little careful with the naming of the sequence, since the original name "Maverick" has already been taken by an excellent movie starring Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster, James Garner et al.

F-16s flown by AI. The Army cancelled their FARA contract because they believe recon can be done better and cheaper unmanned. Kinda wonder how much longer manned fighter / attack aircraft will be relevant on the battlefield.

I expect sixth gen fighters to be the last manned fighters. Attack will probably be the last combat aviation platforms to transition.

Given the lifespan of 4G/5G fighters, that could be well into the future though.

I expect sixth gen fighters to be the last manned fighters. Attack will probably be the last combat aviation platforms to transition.
I expect by the time all fighters are unmanned we'll still be arguing over what constitutes '6th gen' :biggrin:

Nauga,
and his 3g 4g LTE 5g airwing

I expect by the time all fighters are unmanned we'll still be arguing over what constitutes '6th gen' :biggrin:

Nauga,
and his 3g 4g LTE 5g AI airwing
FIFY

Given the lifespan of 4G/5G fighters, that could be well into the future though.
I agree. 4th Gen still getting it done for now though. Israelis were tearing some **** up over there. Couldn’t imagine trying to prioritize and target hundreds of drones inbound.

Standard trained defense against a visually acquired missile is out of burner, chaff and flares. If you are planning countermeasures for known threats in advance and will use a program you still would pop a mix to account for handheld IR threats that are everywhere. Conversely if you know there are no radar missile threats and only IR you still pop chaff as it can confuse IR missile fusing.

Maverick gets shot down in enemy territory while on a peace keeping mission to a retirement home in Trashcanistan, and Doug Masters steals another F16 to rescue him while an AI generated Chappy talks him through the rescue. It only works because they are filming Tropic Thunder 2 in the desert, and those guys are able to provide intel so bad it confuses both sides.

Back