Tools for the IFR Pilot- What do you use?

Jps19602002@mac.com

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bruuce
I am early in my IFR training and my CFI and I have discussed different tools for CRM. For Instance a supplemental Pre-Flight checklist for IFR flights which includes checking GPS databased currency and recency of VOR check. I have also flown with pilots who use different scratch pads with pre-printed spaces for commonly used info during flight. Places for the 6 T's, space to write down clearances and then space for assigned vectors and approach info when vectored by ATC. I have had trouble finding any examples so I am interested in finding the best practices that are out there. Can you share your practice including attaching a copy of what you use? Haven't seen any threads on this recently.

Nope, I just use a blank pad of paper. My favorite are these mini legal pads about 4x5".
Yes, I've modified the checklists as well. My other aid is this little table that PIC gave me when I took my course with the 6T's (really even that's rapidly coming obsolete in the follow the purple line flying of the GPS era) but what it really has is the COMMAND/PERFORMANCE parameters of my aircraft for the six phases of flight: cruise, non-precision approach descent, precision descent, etc... If you don't do the PIC course, grab a copy of Peter Dogan's book which is what their syllabus is based on. That "cheat sheet" is probably the most valuable thing you have to make the workload easier.

Vectors I just set the heading bug for. You do occasionally get a non trivial new route which I do write down. When I brief the approach I will write down three things:

FAC, DA/MDA, Initial missed approach. Yeah, it's in the briefing strip, but it's good reinforcement and if you drop the plate or the iPad or whatever ...

You can make all the form you need by writing C R A F T down the side of a blank sheet.
Even that I don't bother with now. I just write it down in my own short hand as the controller gives it:

Cleared to the Podunk airport via direct CSN then as filed maintain 3000 expect 6000 ten minutes after departure departure frequency 132.85, squawk 4221 becomes:

D-> CSN 30E60 132.85 4221.

That's pretty much the way I read it back.

I too use a ca. 4x6 inch blank pad of paper on my knee board to write down information. Also, I like to have the approach plate front and center when flying an approach, and I haven't found a tablet which I can mount to my yoke without it getting in the way. So I'm using paper plates and a yoke mounted clip to hold the plate in position between the horns of the yoke. If I print the plates onto copy paper, they are stiff enough to mount as-is. But I've started using purchased plates printed on flimsy stock. So before a flight I insert plates for the destination and potential alternates into plastic holders and mount those in a small 4 ring binder so they're easier to access than they are in the full book of plates.

I sometimes have issues accurately capturing complex clearances (give me a break I'm still learning). Hasn't been an issue, as controllers have been willing to repeat the clearance when requested. But I am ready to start looking at a device to record and quickly play back clearances. But no pirep, yet.

I gave up on those forms about 40 years ago, and also use a 5x8 (or is it 4x6?) yellow lined pad on my kneeboard. However, if you're a fan of preprinted forms, Dauntless Software has some downloadable ones which are very comprehensive. PIC also has a copyrighted form it gives its clients (along with permission to make additional copies for their own use).

4x6 pad just like everyone else. Used CRAFT as mentioned above when I was starting out.

one step further, i just use the scratch pad page on foreflight. No paper.

I added the IFR things to my checklist, GPS up to date, the checks on powerup of the 430 etc. I have also been using a 4x5 pad to write clearances on. I usually have it pretty much completed by the time I call up for the clearance. I file using foreflight and then before I climb in I go to flightware to see what has been assigned. Based on that I can fill most of the CRAFT in and add the rest when I call.

Going against the grain -- I find that with the wild open spaces of a notepad, my clearances would end up all over the page at random -- and at a glance I'd have to hunt for my data.

I made a dumb little scratch sheet for myself. For some reason, I can always write in the next box.

I actually hope you don't have this defect like I have, but if so, here's the sheet I made:

http://flycorona.com/fun/ifr-sheet2.pdf

For reroutes I'll use a whole new line or two and write through the boxes.

ALB on the side is cleared: approach / land / bravo (bravo is there for practice approaches... my home drome's LOC is parallel LAX and burns their surface area :D )

boxes on the left edge for ATIS codes.

I think half of the fun is discovering the little toys, gadgets, reminders, and gouges that work for your flying. Every task step that you eliminate uncertainty/thought about frees your brain for another scan.. another frequency lookup... another brief of the plate...

I added a section to my checklist for the instrument checks when taxiing out to the runup area. Make sure the DG is tracking, VSI doesn't move, AI behaves, TC shows turns, that sort of thing. And I check the VOR check sheet in the plane as a matter of routine, even if I'm not flying IFR. Nice to know that the VORs have been checked in case I need to air file. But, I check them against each other after engine start every time, anyway. Got in that habit when I was first learning to fly. One of the many good things my initial CFI taught me.

I use the 4x6 pad also but also ran into the same problem as Mike B. In the heat of battle, I'd write down info wherever my pencil would land. The pad pretty much looked coded like the Mayan calendar once my flight was complete.

I'm trying to focus more on the basics like left to right top to bottom...seems to be helping now :)

Alot of what you use will come from trial and error and what you're most comfortable with in the cockpit.

I still carry a plain paper scratch pad for notes, etc., have the ipad for backup to the paper plates and low enroutes (yeah I know that sounds backwards, but I'm old) One thing I also do is write down each altitude assignment and com frequency as I get them from the controllers, just in case the electrical system goes TU and I lose my avionics, I know the last freq. and can put that into the handheld just as a last resort backup.

Back