Took Wrong Exam!

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Well, since the flight to MIE was canceled today, I figured I'd head up to DuPage and take the Advanced Ground Instructor exam. Well I got there and took the exam. I thought I saw the proctor select the proper exam from the list, but he sped past the verification screens. I did notice an error on the ZIP code he entered and had him correct that, but I missed the fact that the test was for Flight Instructor until it came time to review the details on the certificate. (I PASSED!) So, even though I came in to take the AGI, I wound up taking the FIA (Flight Instructor Airplane) and passed with a 92%.

The problem is, the FIA exam requires a signoff before you're allowed to take it! So I went back and took the Advanced Ground Instructor exam. Luckily, I had the time. Yes, I passed it too, so I just need to go to the FSDO to get my AGI certificate.

I got a retroactive authorization to take the FIA exam. I wasn't necessarily planning to go for a Flight Instructor certification, but is it ethical to use the exam I've already taken should I opt to do so? I have little doubt that I could have gotten the signoff before I showed up, and I have received ground instruction from the instructor who signed me off, albeit for the private pilot. He did, of course, have the evidence of a decent score! :)

Also, is there any reason not to get a flight instructor certification before a commercial certification?

Last edited:
I dont *think* actually that a signoff is required for the flight instructor writtens. I think i may have posed this question to the board a year and half ago or so.

Commercial license is a requirement to get the flight instructor license, so that would be a good reason to get the commercial first :)

I dont *think* actually that a signoff is required for the flight instructor writtens. I think i may have posed this question to the board a year and half ago or so.
Too tired now; need to look this up (later) in the AM. Still recurperating from putting the fire out. (Ask Leslie :))
Commercial license is a requirement to get the flight instructor license, so that would be a good reason to get the commercial first :)

Good point. Not something I've loked into yet, since I wasn't considering doing it in that order! :goofy:

Not sure Leslie'll get to do her instrument checkride in the AM. TAF for DPA showing 28014G24, and our runway is 18/36 with patches of ice.

I don't need to look it up -- no endorsement is required to take any of the flight/ground instructor knowledge tests (although an FOI knowledge endorsement is required to take the initial CFI practical test), so I'm wondering just who would provide you with an endorsement for the FIA test, especially retroactively, rather than simply tell you the endorsement isn't required, since an instructor should know these rules.

A related question - for the BGI and AGI certificates, one has to take the FOI test (assuming that one doesn't qualify for the exemption by being a teacher, etc) and the knowledge test for the BGI or AGI, correct?

Or is the FOI only needed for the CFI practical test?

A related question - for the BGI and AGI certificates, one has to take the FOI test (assuming that one doesn't qualify for the exemption by being a teacher, etc) and the knowledge test for the BGI or AGI, correct?

Or is the FOI only needed for the CFI practical test?
The FOI is needed for your first instructor certificate unless you qualify for the college/certified teacher's exemption. It is not required to take the Ground Instructor knowledge tests -- you can take them in either order (e.g., BGI then FOI, or FOI then BGI) but you don't get your certificate until you've passed both.

Thanks, that's what I thought... And one can take the AGI without taking the BGI, as I understand it?

Assuming all the rotary-wing stuff doesn't make your head spin <ducking and running>.

Thanks, that's what I thought... And one can take the AGI without taking the BGI, as I understand it?

Assuming all the rotary-wing stuff doesn't make your head spin <ducking and running>.
Yes, the BGI is NOT a prerequisite for the AGI.

Back