Took my wife on her first plane ride!

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
The club I belong to also owns a C182P. I've been itching to take her up for a ride, so with my instructor's approval we decided to do an into to high performance aircraft coupled with my wife's first trip in an airplane.

The weather was a bit warmer than was expected so our ride from Anderson (AID) to Columbus (BAK) wound up being a bit bumpy, but my wife's a trooper and she says she didn't get sick - but she didn't like it much either. We hung out at Columbus a bit to wait for the sun to go down some - hoping for smoother air - before we left.

The ride back at 2500 ft was a little better. We decided to skirt the Indianapolis class Charlie to see if we could get some pics of downtown - but it was really hazy (visibility at about 10-15 miles). So it didn't look like it was going to work out until my instructor asked me to call up Indy approach and as for permission to enter the class C!

Well, without an outline (cheat sheet) I didn't do so hot like on my solo XC, but I got the point across. I basically requested clearance into the class Charlie to the west with an exit to the north so we could take some pictures of downtown. Approach/Departure was so busy it took me about 5 minutes to get ahold of them to relay my request - and then took another 5 minutes for the very very nice lady to get back to me and grant me clearance into the class Charlie for one pass of downtown (one pass is better than 0)

So off we went. My wife took about 10 pics of downtown, but with the haze (and our lack of a good haze filter) most of the pics didn't turn out so well, but there were a couple of good ones (which are below). In one of them, you can make out the Indianapolis airport in the top left corner (at about 10 miles from our position).

In Columbus, IN she got a couple of pictures of larger aircraft on their ramp. I attached the neatest looking one (I have no idea what it is). We also, of course, flew over our house so she could see it from the air for herself. I just wish we could have had a smoother ride for her first trip.

My wife said she'd definitely go again, but still wanted to go up with an instructor, so that's definitely better than saying she won't ever go again!

Last edited:
Flying over Mikes house using good old fashioned pilotage:
Farm...
Farm...
Farm...
Farm...
Farm...
Highway...
Neighborhood in the middle of nowhere looking completely out of place...
Farm...
Farm...
Farm...

Greebo said:
Flying over Mikes house using good old fashioned pilotage:
Farm...
Farm...
Farm...
Farm...
Farm...
Highway...
Neighborhood in the middle of nowhere looking completely out of place...
Farm...
Farm...
Farm...

Chuck you crack me up thats exactly what I was thinking:rofl:

Along other lines Mike that is an awesome shot out the back widow of the 182. You never get to see that view its always out the front on short final. Very cool.

Last edited:
AdamZ said:
Along other lines Mike that is an awesome shot out the back widow of the 182. You never get to see tath viewe its always out the front on short final. Very cool.
Ohh, thanks for reminding me, I forgot to post the pic my wife took from short final into KUMP. I attached it to the original post.

inav8r said:
Ohh, thanks for reminding me, I forgot to post the pic my wife took from short final into KUMP. I attached it to the original post.

VERY cool photo!

Back