Took my Dad for his aerobatic ride today

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
He’s a pilot but lost his medical years ago; I was his first passenger and he was mine. He has a lot of health problems, is on oxygen, and a lot of medications. Also has a bit of a memory problem. He doesn’t have much that he enjoys or looks forward to now and his wife can’t get him out of the house. Those 80 years have taken their toll on him.

He has been asking me to take him for an aerobatic ride for some time now, and I have had reservations due to the myriad of health problems. With his wife’s and the family’s blessing, I finally agreed to do it.

We have been waiting for the perfect weather and for a day when he felt good. He has bad days and good days. Today was a good day.

I took his vital signs and O2 sat and gave him his pre-flight briefing (he didn’t want to hear all that, he wanted to go flying!). I asked him what he wanted to do and he said “Everything!” OK. :)

The hard part was getting him in the Citabria. He doesn’t have much in the way of muscle strength. We used a stepladder and Tom had to help him a lot.

We did a circling climb over the farm and started in. He liked the roll. We had a status check. He felt fine and was ready for more. He REALLY liked the loop. Made a lot of happy noises and patted me on the back. We had another status check. He felt fine and was ready for more. He liked the Split-S and was even beginning to critique my maneuvers and said they were good. We had another status check. Did he want more? You bet! Patted me on the back. We did a half Cuban. Another status check. He wanted more. A few more rolls and one more loop (his favorite). He could have kept going, but I wanted to quit while we were ahead.

It took five minutes to get him out of the airplane d/t his lack of strength and coordination. What a trooper.

We sat on the deck at the farm and I called all the family and let him talk to them all about his ride. He kept telling everyone how proud he was of me, and what a great time he had. Just like a dad; bragging about his daughter.

He was so alive today.

Last edited:
Diana,

That is so great. Thanks for sharing it. He sure looks happy in the photo. I know he is so proud of you.

We are both lucky to have such wonderful fathers.

Carol

Carol said:
Diana,

That is so great. Thanks for sharing it. He sure looks happy in the photo. I know he is so proud of you.

We are both lucky to have such wonderful fathers.

Carol
Carol, that is so funny; as I was writing this I was thinking of you and your dad and the pictures you posted of him flying with you. :)

I was wearing his old flight suit when I took him. He liked that, too. :) I often wear it when I'm doing aerobatics so that I can stick my iPod in my pocket and zip it. Love those pockets.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Fantastic, nice story to read.

Thanks Dave. :)

Let'sgoflying! said:
Good judgment on when to quit.

I told him we would go again sometime, so now he has something else to look forward to.

Diana,

What a great thing to do! He sure looks happy (and from the family picture, I can see where you got your good looks from).

I owe my dad a ride sometime. He's been willing to go, but they live a couple of miles from KDCA, which is off-limits. We were going to go when we were in Manteo a couple of years ago, but I had to leave the plane at RDU with a minor mechanical problem.

Best of all, you left him with something to look forward to.

What a nice day!

Diana,

I'm glad it all worked out. Sounds like it couldn't have gone any better for him or for you. Good job.

Chip

wsuffa said:
Diana,

What a great thing to do! He sure looks happy (and from the family picture, I can see where you got your good looks from).

Oh, Bill, you are such a sweetie. :)

wsuffa said:
I owe my dad a ride sometime. He's been willing to go, but they live a couple of miles from KDCA, which is off-limits. We were going to go when we were in Manteo a couple of years ago, but I had to leave the plane at RDU with a minor mechanical problem.

I hope you don't put it off too long. You never know. I was afraid if I put this off too long, it wouldn't happen, and then I would regret it.

wsuffa said:
Best of all, you left him with something to look forward to.

Yes, we all need something to look forward to. :) I seem to measure my future pleasurable events in increments of "when I'm going flying next".

gibbons said:
Diana,

I'm glad it all worked out. Sounds like it couldn't have gone any better for him or for you. Good job.

Chip

Thanks Chip. I remember the day you took your dad in the Extra last summer.

It's great how our fathers still want to be part of our lives.

Glad you did it. Had something happened he would have been happy anyway! :)

bbchien said:
Glad you did it. Had something happened he would have been happy anyway! :)

Bruce, you are SO insightful. Thank you for that perspective. :) I know you understand the full ramifications. He's a DNR and he's ready.

On a more scientific level; 3.8 g's and the AAA still OK and he didn't feel the ICD at all. INR was therapeutic last week. O2 sat before and after the flight were mid 90's.

Thanks again Bruce. :)

This thread does it for me on so many levels. Thanks for posting it, I suspect a lot of us have gotten a thrill from reading and seeing it.

Diana, great story and photos, and I'm glad the ride went so well. Makes me miss my dad.

Love that snazzy flight suit.

At that age quality of life takes on so much more meaning. Truth is the old guys was at more risk from the car safety belt (or airbag) in the ride to the airport then in your plane.

What do ya want to bet he bragging like a ten year old to his buddies today

Thanks for sharing that, Diana. What a wonderful day and wonderful memories!

Diana, I'm really pleased to hear that everything went so nicely and that he had a great time. Quality of life is what it's all about, and you improved his a whole lot. My dad is 93, and I hope to get him in our Skylane again this summer. No loops or rolls, though!:)

- Richard

Diana,
Great write-up. Thank you for posting. It looks like it was a gorgeous day, everything green and beautiful. Took my Dad up for the first time a few months ago just before his eightieth birthday. He was very quiet most of the flight, either taking it all in or praying, but is still bragging about it every chance he gets.
Bruce

Diana said:
He’s a pilot but lost his medical years ago; I was his first passenger and he was mine.

Good deal Diana, sounds like y'all had a good ride. So, how low G pull did you manage to get down to for the loop?

Toby said:
Diana, great story and photos, and I'm glad the ride went so well. Makes me miss my dad.

Toby, I bet your dad would be proud of you and all your accomplishments, including those that are aviation related.

Toby said:
Love that snazzy flight suit.

Yea, he really liked that I was wearing his old flight suit. It sure is nice to have all those pockets so I can zip stuff up (including the iPod) for the inverted stuff. :)

Henning said:
Good deal Diana, sounds like y'all had a good ride. So, how low G pull did you manage to get down to for the loop?

Well, I practiced and practiced, but couldn't really do one under 3 G's. Maybe when I fly with Greg Koontz in a few days, he can show me how to do one under 3.0, if that's possible.

Diana said:
We have been waiting for the perfect weather and for a day when he felt good. He has bad days and good days. Today was a good day.

Great story, good pictures, glad you were able to have a great moment with your Dad.

I took my Dad up for his first GA airplane ride Saturday, a nice trip from CHA->TYS and back (I did my acro lessons while there).

He really enjoyed it and can't wait to go again. He was really suprised how quick a small plane gets off the runway.

Bill Jennings said:
I took my Dad up for his first GA airplane ride Saturday, a nice trip from CHA->TYS and back (I did my acro lessons while there).
Bill are we going to get to read about your latest acro lesson? Hope so. :)

Diana, that was a hearwarming story. I'm glad everything worked out so well. That kind of spiritual lift may add some time to your dad's life, and no doubt increased his enjoyment of same greatly.

Diana,
What a great service you did for your Dad, I flew with him several times way back in the OLD CAP days when we had co-ownership in the T-34. We were also so pleased to have had them, and you and Tom at our 50th. Eleanora was at their house last night and she said he could not stop talking about his ride and how GOOD you were. I am afraid that between you , Tom, and I, we have my grandson Rudy hopelesley hooked on a flying career. Grandpa keeps preaching education first and flying next.
People like you and Tom do a LOT for the future of GA.

Jim

Last edited:
I am afraid that between you , Tom, and I, we have my grandson Rudy hopelesley hooked on a flying career. Grandpa keeps preaching education first and flying next. People like you and Tom do a LOT for the future of GA. Jim
..and there would be absolutely NOTHING wrong with hooking another generation. I think in retrospect - both my father (A400) and an uncle (P40)were pilots in the China theater (1942-45) it runs in the blood, too.:yes:

jbelew said:
Diana,
What a great service you did for your Dad, I flew with him several times way back in the OLD CAP days when we had co-ownership in the T-34. We were also so pleased to have had them, and you and Tom at our 50th. Eleanora was at their house last night and she said he could not stop talking about his ride and how GOOD you were.

Jim, I've been in Alabama with the Citabria for several days and just got home, or would have responded sooner. Thank you so much for passing that along; you're a good friend. :)

jbelew said:
I am afraid that between you , Tom, and I, we have my grandson Rudy hopelesley hooked on a flying career. Grandpa keeps preaching education first and flying next.
People like you and Tom do a LOT for the future of GA.

Jim

Thank you so much for the compliment! The same could be said for you. :)

Rudy is a great addition to the flying community. You certainly have reason to be proud of him.

Steve said:
I'm planning to take my 80 yr old dad to Hondo, TX next month for the EAA Southwest Regional Fly-In. It will be the first time he's been up in a small plane in over 15 years, having had bypass/stent/cardoid artery surgeries/diabetes medication that cost him his medical (and his desire to fly again). He's looking forward to it and will a good excuse to get some "quality time" with the old codger. Who knows, he may even put me back in the will.... :)
Steve, has that trip taken place yet? Hope you can get back in the will somehow. ;)

Just a follow up on my dad. His comments after watching my spin video:

“I sure am proud of my little girl. The only criticism I have is that I wasn’t up there doing those spins with you.”

Gee, I want to be like that when I’m 80 years old.

I hope to take him flying again for Father's Day. And I hope that y'all that still plan to take your fathers flying will do so in the near future. :)

Diana said:
Steve, has that trip taken place yet? Hope you can get back in the will somehow. ;)

Just a follow up on my dad. His comments after watching my spin video:

“I sure am proud of my little girl. The only criticism I have is that I wasn’t up there doing those spins with you.”

Gee, I want to be like that when I’m 80 years old.

I hope to take him flying again for Father's Day. And I hope that y'all that still plan to take your fathers flying will do so in the near future. :)

My Dad was killed in '76. I still remember him climbing to the highest point on our farm with me and watching the Blue Angels perform over Kanawha Airport. He also took me on my first airplane ride, in a Ford Tri-motor while we were on vacation. I probably caught the bug from him. I found out a couple years ago, from my Grandfather, that he was taking lessons.

Steve said:
I just might suprise him on Father's Day.
That would be a great Father's Day present. I imagine he would like nothing better than to go flying with you. It would be above and beyond the gift of your time. :)

Great story, thanks for sharing! It sounds like both you and your dad are very lucky!

Diana said:
I wish I could! Sometimes I imagine it happening. He would have trusted me completely. :(

Back