Took a ride last night...

3393RP

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
3393RP
Last night I was fortunate enough to take a flight around Fort Worth in a C-47.

The airplane was on the production line as a TWA DC-3 when the war began, and it was completed as a C-47. It went to India to fly supplies over the Himalayas and into China. It later saw service as a freighter, and at one point in its life was used by the president of Mexico as a VIP transport.

Here are a couple of shots I took with my phone...it was loud, cold and drafty but I had a great time. :D

On the ramp:

11741733806_3e83baa4c6_c.jpg

View from the cockpit as we flew about 1,500' AGL:

11741360444_2cb7dd5ed4_c.jpg

Sounds like you had a great night. The noise and the drafts make it real.

Yeah, screw you dude!
How did you manage to get a ride in that thing?

I am so jealous.

LOVE the cockpit photo by the way

Yeah, screw you dude!
How did you manage to get a ride in that thing?

I am so jealous.

LOVE the cockpit photo by the way
Those guys (Greatest Generation Aircraft) do Christmas light flights every year in Dec out of FTW. Lots of seats, so prices are pretty reasonable.

If you are a big spender, you can get flight training in the airplane as well. I've done my last couple of SIC recurrents in Southern Cross.

And if you are a really big spender, you can do your BFR and earn your SIC rating in the B25, Pacific Prowler.

Greatest Generation is a good outfit. Shout out to Gunny Purdue who occasionally posts here.

As a kid I got to fly in "909" (B-17) about a dozen times! Along with a couple different B-25's,two different P-51's, T-28, T-6, PT-22,and a Tiger Moth. Yeah I was lucky!:goofy:

They have a deal going right now, $499 for one hour of dual instruction. That would be a nice addition to the logbook. They are also offering a ground school in April for $125 which covers aircraft systems and flight procedures. I might go for that.

I was grinning like a nitwit when they swung it around at the hold short line and did the runup. Loud as hell, shaking like crazy...it was awesome!

Last edited:
Back