Took 5 practice knowledge tests today...

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
Studying and hoping to take the knowledge test this week. I realize the Study Buddy tests are random like the laser grade tests and there are plenty of topics/questions that may stump me, but I was happy to have scored 90%, 92, 95, 95, and 97. I still botch the categories/classes questions and an occasional ADF question. Other than that my incorrect answers are stupid mistakes.

Re-reading the Gleim book now along with the PKAK and AFH to understand the topics I'm missing. Trying to knock the test out by Saturday...:yes:

you'll do fine. Just took mine and used study buddy + http://www.exams4pilots.org/faatest.cgi and made a 90. Nothing on there I hadn't seen before - went back and changed two right answers to wrong one's so really made a 95'ish. I screw myself on just about every test doing that. One of them was one of those least maneuverable/right of way questions. Correct answer was a blimp but like an idiot I went back on review and changed it to an airplane getting refueled. I knew better. I had 3 ADF questions - missed two of them...I didn't study it at all.

My checkride is Friday starting @ 8AM. I purposely waited until the end so I didn't have to re-study this stuff for the oral. I have 3 little boys and travel a bunch for work...have to manage my study time wisely.

How you are studying is exactly how I studied using the sportys Study Budy and the Gleim book. It worked fantastic for me! I scored a 98 on the knowledge test!

Should work for you too as the questions on the real test are indentucal to the ones you have now.

I scored a 93 on my PP written exam. When I went to my check ride, the DPE said "good enough... of course anything over 70 means you were overprepared".

I scored a 93 on my PP written exam. When I went to my check ride, the DPE said "good enough... of course anything over 70 means you were overprepared".

If you can only a manage a 70 on that test, you have issues.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm at about 31 hours and just need my night XC, an hour of hood time, and then practice for the checkride. Need to knock out this Knowledge test to get it out of the way...

Agreed. I'm not sure how some people are okay with barely scraping by. Are those the same people that would go right to the max heading/altitude/airspeed tolerances on the PTS?

Studying and hoping to take the knowledge test this week. I realize the Study Buddy tests are random like the laser grade tests and there are plenty of topics/questions that may stump me, but I was happy to have scored 90%, 92, 95, 95, and 97. I still botch the categories/classes questions and an occasional ADF question. Other than that my incorrect answers are stupid mistakes.

Re-reading the Gleim book now along with the PKAK and AFH to understand the topics I'm missing. Trying to knock the test out by Saturday...:yes:

You're ready right now - 80% or 100% it's going to make no difference on your checkride - there are much more relevant things you can be studying at this point, like the PTS or Stick and Rudder, versus trying to sharpen a score up a few more percentage points for no reason :)

Agreed. I'm not sure how some people are okay with barely scraping by. Are those the same people that would go right to the max heading/altitude/airspeed tolerances on the PTS?

I passed my original private pilot written in the 70 percent range.

Used the gleam books from comm up to ATP always with good results.when I started study busy wasn't around.You should do better than average,don't worry about missing a question or two.Good Luck

You're ready right now - 80% or 100% it's going to make no difference on your checkride - there are much more relevant things you can be studying at this point, like the PTS or Stick and Rudder, versus trying to sharpen a score up a few more percentage points for no reason :)

^^^^^^^ THAT ^^^^^^^^^

I disagree with that, every CFI/DPE I've talked to says there is a big difference; if your in the 70s you can expect a extensive oral, if in 90s, then the oral be light. Mine were 100/98 on my PP/IR, my orals consisted of only a few questions, then the DPE said let's go fly.

I disagree with that, every CFI/DPE I've talked to says there is a big difference; if your in the 70s you can expect a extensive oral, if in 90s, then the oral be light. Mine were 100/98 on my PP/IR, my orals consisted of only a few questions, then the DPE said let's go fly.

This is the experience I had. I made a 100 on my exam, and my oral was not very long. He knew I knew my stuff, so he'd just be wasting our time on an extensive oral.

I got a 71% on my commercial written. I breezed through the oral and the DPE said it was the best commercial oral he'd seen in a long time.

I hear ya Jesse, and I respect what you and the other pilots always offer us newbies as advice here and on other forums. I memorized the categories/classes as they apply to Airmen and Aircraft. That one was just bugging me. Looking into the ADF stuff a little more and then I'll schedule. I'm pretty confident that even if I score a bit lower and theoretically add to my Oral exam time/content I'll be able to handle many/most of the questions thrown at me.

Agree, I think Stick and Rudder should be required reading...

That's the biggest myth in checkrides imo, it seems like instructors tell students that because they want to make them feel good about their good score, and then the students think their checkride was shorter and use that to justify their hard work. Since people assume the worst about checkrides and it's never as bad as they assume they figure it must have been their written that made it easier.

As an instructor that both sends students to different examiners with wildly different test scores and has personally been through 6 different oral exams on my various certificate also with wildly different test scores I've observed actually no difference in the orals.

I have however seen people not take what I tell them they should study seriously and instead obsess over their written they put off way too long and some silly king video and as a result do rather poorly on the oral.

Please forgive my poorly formed sentences. I've been awake for 30 hours.

Last edited:

FWIW, I scored 95% on my knowledge test and my oral was not what I would consider light, at almost 2 hours.

I hear ya Jesse, and I respect what you and the other pilots always offer us newbies as advice here and on other forums. I memorized the categories/classes as they apply to Airmen and Aircraft. That one was just bugging me. Looking into the ADF stuff a little more and then I'll schedule. I'm pretty confident that even if I score a bit lower and theoretically add to my Oral exam time/content I'll be able to handle many/most of the questions thrown at me.

Much better off putting time towards check ride prep then sharpening your score beyond 90%. 80%, 90%, 100% will make no difference. Knowing the practical test standards inside and out is what makes the difference and this just isn't stressed enough.

That's what I was told would happen :no:

FWIW, I scored 95% on my knowledge test and my oral was not what I would consider light, at almost 2 hours.

That was more like my experience, I got an 87% on the written and then had a nearly 3 hour oral...:mad2: DPE knew we weren't flying that day so wanted to fill the time up I guess

+1. I had about the same test results and same amount of time on oral. The only "break" I saw was he had some "different" questions regarding O2, etc. Being in the medical field, he got off that line of questions after only 2 responses.

Majority was flight planning, every possible symbol question and airspace questions.

I did 100/95. My PPL was very easy, but my instrument oral was miserable. You can ace the written and still only know a small fraction of what's in those study guides and workbooks.

I did 100/95. My PPL was very easy, but my instrument oral was miserable. You can ace the written and still only know a small fraction of what's in those study guides and workbooks.
The way it seem to me was that he ask me question or two about a topic, I would respond quickly/correctly, he moved on to the next topic. I think I had shown any sign of weakness, he probably would have probe further, I didn't give him the opportunity :D
I prep using the Oral exam guide, I think all the questions he asked were in it.

This is the experience I had. I made a 100 on my exam, and my oral was not very long. He knew I knew my stuff, so he'd just be wasting our time on an extensive oral.

Nope

A score on a written means little, a 71% could have been a rushed test done before solo just as a 98% could have been a guy that just "studied the test"'in Shepard or Dauntless.

Just pass the damn thing, your oral will be dictated by how you answer questions IN THE ORAL.

I sign my guys off for the written when they average over 80% on Dauntless.

CFI tip: Be sure you UPDATE the software, many of the free sites are not up-to-date on the tests.

Back