Too old to become a CFI?

I always thought googling this stuff would provide all the answers, but I seem to just get more confuse. I seem to recall hearing of people who are training to be commercial pilots end up teaching in order to get their required flying time basically paid for. Then I read that to get CFI certified, you need to have a commercial license. Seems to be a catch 22. Maybe I could start with just getting certified to teach ground school. Seems so confusing.

Don’t confuse Commercial with ATP. The commercial rating is not nearly as hard to achieve as the instrument.

All great advice guys! Much appreciated.
Can’t say that I’d be doing this to make money. As someone pointed out, with the cost to become a CFI, I wouldn’t break even unless I live to be 150. However, if I can pull it off without going bankrupt, and end up doing something I love to do, and get paid for, then what could be better? For now, I guess it all boils down to the finances. As some have pointed out, there is a lot to be said for an older instructor, in that I’d be doing it strictly because I love doing it...and not just to make money. And, I will not be bailing at some point to move into being an airline pilot.
Again, thank you all for your input, and, being it’s now Christmas Eve...merry Christmas to all!

My first flight instructor back in 1992 had just retired and began instructing in his Aeronca Champ. He was an old school hard core instructor. He wouldn’t sign you off for the checkride unless you spun with him. He has gone through many planes and I have done BFR’s with him, Mooney training and even a little instrument instruction. He has mellowed in his approach, but is still instructing and still loving it. He has stayed very engaged in aviation due to all his instruction time. He lives a very satisfying life and it is keeping him young in mind.

I asked him about six months ago how many students he has solo’d and how many he has taken to their checkride. He just shook his head and said “ I have no Earthly idea.”

Back