too much snow to ski?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Hey how are they going to get aviator-skiers if they don't take care of that snowbank??
I was planning to go today but that was kiboshed with a call to the field yesterday :(
apparently several stranded a/c.....one used the clear 1/2 rwy to depart :hairraise:

AXX ANGEL FIRE
01/007 - AD CLSD. 03 JAN 15:55 2009 UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 03 JAN 15:55 2009
01/003 - RWY 17/35 7 FT SNBNK. 03 JAN 00:00 2009 UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 03 JAN 00:00 2009

Obviously they are deferring to the better skiing found in Colorado...:D

Obviously they are deferring to the better skiing found in Colorado...:D

"Better" is a relative term. If the "better" skiing is far enough away that you cannot reach it in the time necessary to allow skiing, or if it is enough more costly that it precludes skiing at all, then it ain't better at all, is it?

"Better" is a relative term. If the "better" skiing is far enough away that you cannot reach it in the time necessary to allow skiing, or if it is enough more costly that it precludes skiing at all, then it ain't better at all, is it?

Stop reading Steve N.'s posts please...:smile:

Monarch CO is cheaper by a few bucks. It's about an extra hour drive from Raton, NM, maybe a bit more. Good snow, nice folks, easy access, cheap lodging, hot springs, nice airport(KANK), rental cars, etc.

<edit; It's about extra 35 minutes by Bonanza between from ADS to Monarch>

Try it you'll like it. :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited:
I can get to axx in 3 hours. Leaving at 6am I arrive at 8 their time, $5 and 15min shuttle from planeside to ticket counter, I am first on the slopes usually. Then I leave around 3pm and get home soon after dark. Its really unbeatable for my situation.
How is ground transport at Monarch?

I can get to axx in 3 hours. Leaving at 6am I arrive at 8 their time, $5 and 15min shuttle from planeside to ticket counter, I am first on the slopes usually. Then I leave around 3pm and get home soon after dark. Its really unbeatable for my situation.
How is ground transport at Monarch?

That sounds good. Swing by next time and take me? I'll pay some gas. Or we'll take my old bird. I have free days at Angel fire. Monarch you need to rent a car. They deliver to the airport but you need a rental. You can leave it at the airport when you fly out. I think the whole process would add about an hour to the trip, so you wouldn't be skiing until 9:30-ish

We could also go to my 'super-secret' ski area that no one knows about. Bwahahahahaha! It's about the same distance as angel Fire.

PM sent.

called today, they have cleared it to 40' wide 10'high in places. hmmm..... 2' 11" on each side.....that's doable......with no wind!

He says everytime they clear it out, the wind fills it back in :(

dm....I might have to just meet you there when it clears out - 'swinging by' Kezer means adding 5 hours to the trip!

dm....I might have to just meet you there when it clears out - 'swinging by' Kezer means adding 5 hours to the trip!

Yeah, I figured as much. I'll have to head your way sometime, and connect with you at your place.

Can't beat the quick ride from Angel Fire Airport to the mountain.

They've got good snow at Santa Fe these days, as well as Pajarito, which is near Los Alamos (Fri-Sun only). You'd need a car for either one, but doable as a day trip from W Texas, and at least you avoid the highest parts of the Sangre de Cristos. Not so much in Ruidoso this year.

Great skiing in 4 Corner country this season. Did Purgatory today, and so far been to Telluride, Wolf Creek and Taos. Dave, you're welcome to come up the night before and stay here.

Jon

Back