Too much? Not enough? (Pre solo written)

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I hardly remember my pre solo written. I think it was like only 12 or 13 questions, and I know it was all on one page.

Thoughts on this one?

Attachments

• Pre Solo Written Test.doc
    28.5 KB · Views: 62
I personally would ask more specific questions regarding the limitations.
For instance:
Can a student pilot take a passenger?
How far can a student pilot go from their home field?
Can a student pilot land at another airport?

Something like that??

Mark B

The pre-solo written which comes with the Jepp PP kit is about 12-13 pages, and does ask a lot of questions, including those mentioned by Mark B.

It provides the basis for some great learning opportunities on the part of the student. It also provides the instr with a reasonable assessment of the students knowledge/ understanding of the material they should have by that point in their training.

I personally would ask more specific questions regarding the limitations.
For instance:
Can a student pilot take a passenger?
How far can a student pilot go from their home field?
Can a student pilot land at another airport?

Something like that??

Mark B

Well, I figured rather than make it a yes no option on the passenger thing, let em think about it. Obviously when I review with them, I'll have them write down more answers. The how far is a good question though, and will be adding it.

I figure I am also going to administer a pre-cross country written as well when it gets to that point.

Last edited:
I like all of those. I would also ask them to do a simple W&B and write the procedures for an engine out landing, fire, and a precautionary landing. You might also want to ask them how much oil there should be in the plane and how many fuel sumps.

BTW I hope you are letting them also do a lot of this with the PoH handy. That way they are also getting used to looking stuff up.

I'm allowing use of the FAR/AIM and the POH. Heck, I don't even memorize the V speeds. Most of em are on the ASI or easily determined on the ASI, why clutter my head.

#. What do you do if the radio stops working?

ed, here is what ive got. i havent used it for a while, often I just use the canned Jeppesen, which is very similar to mine anyway. I let them use any reference they can, which usually is just FAR/AIM and POH.

Attachments

• Pre-Solo Written Exam.doc
    28 KB · Views: 26
tonycondon said:
What is the takeoff and landing distance over a 50-foot obstacle for your aircraft at your airport? Assume maximum certificated takeoff weight, 80 degrees F, calm wind and altimeter setting of 29.52.

I'm not flying that day. Probably thundstorms in the area. :rofl:

I'm not flying that day. Probably thundstorms in the area. :rofl:

hehe yea i just made up some crazy numbers to force them into a density altitude calculation. I think the Jepp version just has the standard 29.92 and 15 degC, lame...

What about some Lost Procedures, contact frequencies (center, TRACON, emergency), ability to use VORs for determining position, etc? Perhaps some oral time to include basic understanding and interpretation of a sectional?

Maybe this seems too much but I don't think so if the student is just a few flight hours away from their XC.

What about some Lost Procedures, contact frequencies (center, TRACON, emergency), ability to use VORs for determining position, etc? Perhaps some oral time to include basic understanding and interpretation of a sectional?

Maybe this seems too much but I don't think so if the student is just a few flight hours away from their XC.

IMO until you solo XC seems so far away. So much to take in. Fly by yourself and all the sudden you feel like a real pilot. You have confidence. This is when you can move onto all that stuff..

I learned mostly under the Seattle Class B, so I think I had more questions about flight limitations and altitude limits to/from the practice area. May depend on what you have in your local area. Some interesting questions would be:

* Can a student pilot request a VFR transition through Class B? If no, why not? If yes, under what conditions?

* Can a student pilot request a Special VFR clearance to land at a towered airport? If no, why not? If yes, under what conditions?

* If weather closes in unexpectedly, and you get back to the airport and find it has a lower visability or ceiling than your student pilot limits allow, what should you do?

* Can a student pilot accept a "LAHSO" clearance to land? If no, why not? If yes, under what conditions? If it is offered by the tower ATC, how should you respond?

* What is different about student pilot visability and ceiling requirments, as compaired to the requirements for a Private Pilot?

* What is your maximum crosswind limit for TO and landing? When landing on RW 33 with wind 270 @ 10, what is the crosswing component? Is it within your limitations?

* If by calculation you determine the crosswind is within your limitations, describe the technique to use for landing. And for TO.

* If you return to the airport for landing and by calculation you determine the crosswind is not within your limitations, describe what you would do to get your aircraft on a runway safely.

* In the prior question, if the only other airport with RW's oriented close to the wind direction is 60 miles away, and you have not been signed off to solo from that airport, what would you do?

And other questions that ask them to deal with potential real situations, and not just quote the "book" information.

Last edited:
Wow - those are thought provoking questions, Dwight.

I can't think of a good answer to the last one....what would a student pilot do? I assume it would be to fly to the cross country airport under 91.3?

Or possibly land with the higher crosswind under 91.3?

I can't think of a good answer to the last one....what would a student pilot do? I assume it would be to fly to the cross country airport under 91.3?

WWEFD ? I landed it, even though the other airport was only 8 miles away or so. Instructor was on the ground with a hand held, told me to give it a shot, and if I didn't feel comfortable, go over to the other airport and they'd pick me up. I wasn't signed off to land at the other airport. So it was 91.3 regardless of the decision.

IMO until you solo XC seems so far away. So much to take in. Fly by yourself and all the sudden you feel like a real pilot. You have confidence. This is when you can move onto all that stuff..
Maybe I put this across wrong. I don't mean doing this before your first supervised solo with just landings but at least before you're allowed to go up without your CFI present and simply fly to the practice area. I just think these are a few things to consider as only then the XC is a short time away. If this is a 141 school or even just a 61 school with a fast-paced student, it's all the more important he's on top of the game and ready. But, your average student who flys once or twice a week; I'd agree. No, that's not so much of a rush.

I was thinking of this as the test leading to flights away from the home airport, signed off to fly within 50 NM without the instructor around. After the solo sign off I was soon picking up the plane keys at the airport office, and reporting my hours to the flight school (at another airport) by phone. Stuff the instructor and student should be clear about. IMHO the student on a solo is PIC, and needs to make the best decision he or she is comfortable with. What is the safest move? Depends on a lot of factors, including whether the X-wind is gusty or steady, adjacent buildings or trees near the runway landing area, how much better the situation is at the other airport, navigation confidence, nav aids available like a GPS to help, etc. etc. Pilot in the seat has to make the call, and not based on how much explanation may be required. Only based on what he feels confident will get him and the plane down safe.

Last edited:
Ed,

Does this mean your dad's about to solo? :yes:

Yeah, I just need to do a couple engine outs with him, and give him some hood time. That and get a string of landings in a row where "the outcome of the maneuver is never in doubt". I haven't had any fillings rattled loose, but the runway sometimes needs to be 2 feet higher.

Yeah, I just need to do a couple engine outs with him, and give him some hood time. That and get a string of landings in a row where "the outcome of the maneuver is never in doubt". I haven't had any fillings rattled loose, but the runway sometimes needs to be 2 feet higher.
Just get bigger tires! :)

I'm not a CFI, but I like Dwight's questions. As was noted, questions about the airspace (especially if your airspace is complex).

How about asking about other airports in the area, closest airports to the practice area, or emergency landing sites near the airport, between the airport and the practice area, etc? Important landmarks in the area?

Back