Too much ice and snow...

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
I shoveled out the paved area in front of the hangar yesterday (2' of ice and snow) hoping I could get the Chief out after an oil change. No joy yesterday so I tried again this afternoon.

The weight of the snow/ice on the roof has pushed the door track down so much the door bottom is scraping the floor -- and gets hung up every so often. I had to buy a crowbar to leave in the hangar so I could close it.

But tinkering with and airplane is nearly as fun as flying, so after oil change and safety wire, I cleaned the underbelly, wiped down the inside and outside of the cowling, and straightened up the hangar.

We should get more above-freezing temps this week, so the snow load should be reduced!

It's been a crazy winter. The only snow on the ground here is minor coverage held there by cold temperatures; and there's much grass showing in many areas because we've had numerous high 30s to mid 40s temperature days. I just returned from a performance by the Portland Symphony Orchestra. The guest conductor was making his first appearance in front of the PSO, his musical career having much history in North Carolina.

The audience laughed heartily when he spoke of "coming from normally warm and sunny North Carolina to often snowbound Maine -- except today was just the opposite.".

During the past few days I've been outside raking the remaining leaves I didn't get mulched before they were covered by our initial snow storm back in December; oh, and working on more of my traditional New England stone wall.

HR

Just keep those gutters and drains clear.

All the shoveling the past few weeks keeping the ramp spot cleaned out to the taxiway paid off again today by being able to get to the airport in the 45* weather, and not have to preheat today, no shoveling to get to the plane, nothing to clean off the wings. Took my two daughters up for a nice nap,.. I mean flight :D They fell asleep 5 minutes into the 1 hour flight, and didn't wake up till I shut-down and started to push the plane back into the spot.

Spring is around the corner,... :yesnod:

We're getting another 8" tonight. Allrightallready! Can we please cut this out?

Sounds like a nice flight, Rob!

Just keep those gutters and drains clear

There's been enough above-freezing the last few days to melt the huge ice dams that built up all along my roof.

Whew!!

Spring is around the corner,... :yesnod:

I started planning our May canoe trip down the West Branch of the Susquehanna -- helps a bit!

We're getting another 8" tonight. Allrightallready! Can we please cut this out?

So that's what it turned into? My flight had to be de-iced before we could leave ORD for ZRH. It didn't look like a good evening to potting around in a 182, that's for sure.

Back