"Too Much Fun" by Tony Condon & Bob Whelan

Jim Logajan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PoA poster Tony Condon is co-author of a 4 page article in the February 2012 issue of the SSA magazine Soaring.

Tony was attempting a 500 km (Diamond distance) glider flight with Bob as ground chase. Bob and Tony alternate telling the progression of the flight from each of their perspectives.

Hadn't really thought of it before, but I can see now how performing ground chase can be a fun sort of road-trip with a variable destination. Not sure I'd think it fun to replace a fuel pump, though!

Thanks Jim! Yes, Bob had an incredible amount of fun and even though it was 105 or so in the shade we actually did have fun replacing the fuel pump on Ol' Blue. For some PoA reference, Ol' Blue formerly belonged to Chris Jones. As I said in the story I called Chris and the fuel pump was the only part he couldn't remember replacing and his dad bought the truck new. It had about 263,000 on it then, I think, up to 267,000 now.

I put it in the "Dalhart, TX" thread but I'll attach the story here too for those who aren't SSA members.

Attachments

• DownwindDashSSA.docx
    28.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DownwindDash Trace.jpg
    DownwindDash Trace.jpg
    927.2 KB · Views: 17
  • P6290016.JPG
    P6290016.JPG
    912.3 KB · Views: 18
A fun read! Thanks for sharing. Maybe one day I'll join.

I get why its fun for Tony flying but driving around for 500km.....fun???:confused:

I get why its fun for Tony flying but driving around for 500km.....fun???:confused:

Read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."

It's about the journey.

I would love to chase... honestly. That'd be a hoot. Have Yukon and trailer hitch... will travel. :)

Nate if you keep talking like that you might become my new best friend

Back