Too many g's?

I've had my vision grey out before or just seem weird. I was the pax so I wasn't worried about it. I mentioned it to my friend, thought it was interesting, and he promised not to pull so hard next maneuver.
All this talk about Gs... I need to go get upside down soon

That would be a no for me. ;)

I do acro in the RV's and the most I have pulled was 3.5 that was enough for me. :hairraise:
Yeah. Between 3.0 and 5.5 (sustained), I really didn't like it.....I guess I let go of the button around 5.5.....

If there is a G meter in the aeroplane it will read about 0.7.
Dave, it's nice to see you still posting here. :)

I started a thread on the studentpilot forum years ago when I was first trying to figure out how to do the competition turn (as opposed to the turn the initial post in this thread mentions). Got a lot of good advice over there, as always. :)

Wes (does he still post here?) said for the competition turn:
I roll to about 75 - 80 degrees and put about +3.5 - 4 G on for the turn. It happens at the end of the primary and sportsman sequences so you're not worried about energy management - make it look really Bang-Bang.

Back then the turn must have been at the end of the primary sequence. When I finally competed, it was next to last, with the roll being the last maneuver, and I had to really work it to have enough energy to do a decent roll in the Citabria at the end of the sequence. Still haven't figured out how to make the Citabria look really Bang-Bang. :D

I've had my vision grey out before or just seem weird. I was the pax so I wasn't worried about it. I mentioned it to my friend, thought it was interesting, and he promised not to pull so hard next maneuver.
All this talk about Gs... I need to go get upside down soon

My brothers story.

He wakes up in a bed - somewhere a radio is on and somebody was talking. Then he realized that he wasn't lying down, he was sitting up, but he really didn't know where. After a few moments, he realized that he was sitting in an airplane and someone was talking talking to him. Then he noticed that the airplane was flying - he recalls looking around at the ground. Someone kept talking - he didn't understand what they were saying, but he knew that it was a buddy talking to him. Eventually he came to realize that he was in the pilots seat of a Pitts. At this poiint one would think that it would be pretty scary, but, no, he wasn't really aware enough to think about what might be happening. Eventually, he realized that his buddy was in the front hole and was flying the airplane and he must have blacked out.

Discussing it later, they determined that it had happened during a transition from a strong negitive to hard positive G. But he had no recollection of passing out, or any warning. Just waking up.

Be careful out there.

Back then the turn must have been at the end of the primary sequence. When I finally competed, it was next to last, with the roll being the last maneuver, and I had to really work it to have enough energy to do a decent roll in the Citabria at the end of the sequence. Still haven't figured out how to make the Citabria look really Bang-Bang. :D

What Wes describes works great, but remember he has a 260hp Pitts. :) That's exactly what I don't like about the Primary sequence...the maneuver that's the most difficult for low-performance airplanes is preceeded by an energy scrubbing turn that doesn't give you much exit energy in planes like Citabrias. You might be better off taking an interruption after the turn, repositioning and diving for as much speed as you want before doing the roll. This is what Giles Henderson recommends in Cubs...and the Citabria doesn't roll much better. But in a Citabria, without an interruption, you'll want to do the turn with the least amount of energy loss going into the next figure. That would mean 60 degrees, 2G, and the ball in the center during the turn itself.

Eric

As I said, it would have to maintain over three times Vs with that induced drag load all the way to the vertical in order to maintain 9 g's, and even with 300HP, I don't see that happening.

Yeah, there are fighter jets that can't maintain it in after burner, (heck, are there any planes with enough power to maintain flying energy in a continuous 9g pull?) much less a 300hp recip plane. Lots and lots of drag in that pull.

are there any planes with enough power to maintain flying energy in a continuous 9g pull
Yes, depending on load -- F-16, F/A-18, F-22, and I imagine the F-35. IIRC, the F-15 is only an 8-g plane, but I could be wrong. And that's just ours -- I'm pretty sure the Russki's have a few which will do it, too, starting with the Flanker family and the Fulcrum, and probably the Eurofighter Typhoon and French Rafale. However, 9 g's is about the limit of what the pilots can handle even with the best g-suits in the world, which is why the next generation of fighters isn't going to be occupied by humans. Look up the Boeing X-47 and Northrop/Grumman X-47 UCAV's for more on that.

Yes, depending on load -- F-16, F/A-18, F-22, and I imagine the F-35. IIRC, the F-15 is only an 8-g plane, but I could be wrong. And that's just ours -- I'm pretty sure the Russki's have a few which will do it, too, starting with the Flanker family and the Fulcrum, and probably the Eurofighter Typhoon and French Rafale. However, 9 g's is about the limit of what the pilots can handle even with the best g-suits in the world, which is why the next generation of fighters isn't going to be occupied by humans. Look up the Boeing X-47 and Northrop/Grumman X-47 UCAV's for more on that.

Yeah, the X-47 projects are pretty interesting, I've been expecting them for a while now due to the reason you state, humans being the limiting factor on the aircraft's war fighting capabilities.

I wonder what the longest someone has maintained consciousness at 9G? I find it interesting that the Blue Angels perform without g-suits, I'm assuming the T-Birds do as well?

I wonder what the longest someone has maintained consciousness at 9G?
:dunno: But your question brings to mind the centrifuge scene in Space Cowboys.

I find it interesting that the Blue Angels perform without g-suits, I'm assuming the T-Birds do as well?
Affirmative. As I understand it, they don't like wearing them when working the crowd (appearance is everything to the teams), and flying without them saves time (and avoides looking "silly" putting on/taking off) before and after the demo (time being a critical resource to them). FWIW, I don't think they go over 6 g's during the demo.

Affirmative. As I understand it, they don't like wearing them when working the crowd (appearance is everything to the teams), and flying without them saves time (and avoides looking "silly" putting on/taking off) before and after the demo (time being a critical resource to them). FWIW, I don't think they go over 6 g's during the demo.

I've always heard that the bulkiness of a G suit does not facilitate the fine touch and movement of the controls required when you're inches from the other plane. Or maybe since they're the best of the best, g-suits are for all the other weenies. :D

I've always heard that the bulkiness of a G suit does not facilitate the fine touch and movement of the controls required when you're inches from the other plane. Or maybe since they're the best of the best, g-suits are for all the other weenies. :D

I realize you say that in jest, but I've had the pleasure of knowing a couple of BAs over the years and none of them consider themselves 'the best of the best', one even went so far to joke, "they sent me to the Angels 'cause I boltered once too often at the ship".

I've done 4gs before and my vision was getting quite sparse, at 5 I could not see anything. Courtesy of my low teenage blood pressure

Quite specifically, the F18 has a center stick. The inflation and deflation of the G-suit causes motion to be transferred to the arm, then to the stick, which is incompatible with the extremely close stationkeeping they do.

I've done 4gs before and my vision was getting quite sparse, at 5 I could not see anything. Courtesy of my low teenage blood pressure

Interesting, I didn't start to grey and close in until around 5.5 and I could get it to come back up some and increase usefulness to 7 using breathing/muscle tension techniques. My buddy who owned the Extra could hold even more and pull me into unconsciousness just above 8. My BP always has run 110-120/55-70. Negative is the real ***** kitty. I went outside to 5 once and my eyeballs were blood red for days, freaked a few people out at work driving a tour boat lol.

Last edited:
Did you tell them you had just auditioned for a vampire movie and it would go away soon?

Interesting, I didn't start to grey and close in until around 5.5 and I could get it to come back up some and increase usefulness to 7 using breathing/muscle tension techniques. My buddy who owned the Extra could hold even more and pull me into unconsciousness just above 8. My BP always has run 110-120/55-70. Negative is the real ***** kitty. I went outside to 5 once and my eyeballs were blood red for days, freaked a few people out at work driving a tour boat lol.

When they took it at the dentist last week it was 101/65 and that was stressed at the dentist lol.

Did you tell them you had just auditioned for a vampire movie and it would go away soon?

Nope, I just let them think I was a Daywalker. Thing that sucked is it cleared up before Sunday, we had plans for Church.... :D

Seriously, the biggest problem for them is that you're resting your arm on your thigh, and when the thigh bladder inflates/deflates it moves your arm enough to interfere with the precision necessary to maintain position with 24-inch wingtip to canopy separation.

Really.

On the surface, that would not appear to be an issue with e F16's the TBirds use (side stick) but I suppose it could still interfere with your steadiness on the controls especially since it's changing without warning.

Last edited:
Back