Too close for comfort!

MicheleK

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Runup Complete
CFI and I were in the practice box this morning, on frequency doing maneuvers and this silent pilot just swoops in and out of our box, not communicating with anyone. They were much faster than our 172... CFI was very concerned about the fast flying so close to where we were, but they turned and left and we went about business. Then here she comes again, this time <2 miles directly on our 6 and gaining fast. Of course CFI took controls and did a climbing left 180, no problems. As students we are taught right hand turns for head-on, and person on right has the right of way. But what if they are right behind you!? They were a low wing, so CFI's concern was that they might have been above us enough to not see us... Of course that little distraction had me good and behind the plane as we came to KAPA for touch and goes, but I shook it off and did some laps. All is well. I'm nervous though of how I'd know the right thing to do in such an instance when I'm solo.

CFI and I were in the practice box this morning, on frequency doing maneuvers and this silent pilot just swoops in and out of our box, not communicating with anyone. They were much faster than our 172... CFI was very concerned about the fast flying so close to where we were, but they turned and left and we went about business. Then here she comes again, this time <2 miles directly on our 6 and gaining fast. Of course CFI took controls and did a climbing left 180, no problems. As students we are taught right hand turns for head-on, and person on right has the right of way. But what if they are right behind you!? They were a low wing, so CFI's concern was that they might have been above us enough to not see us... Of course that little distraction had me good and behind the plane as we came to KAPA for touch and goes, but I shook it off and did some laps. All is well. I'm nervous though of how I'd know the right thing to do in such an instance when I'm solo.

He may have also made the turn to left because of the overtake on the right rule. That of course assumes the overtaker was actually doing that.

The question would to ask is did they know you were there, or were they oblivious?

Welcome to the big city, that's why we keep our heads on a swivel and our eyes open and do clearing turns.
Don't let it get you spooked, learn and move on.

sounds like you and your CFI are expecting "the box" (whatever that even is) to be some sort of protection. It ain't.
The “box”- the practice area outside the delta of KAPA, not controlled so relying on good communication. We don’t expect “protection “, but getting on the frequency would be nice.

The “box”- the practice area outside the delta of KAPA, not controlled so relying on good communication. We don’t expect “protection “, but getting on the frequency would be nice.
Gotcha. You shouldn’t expect people on the frequency either. The “box” is to warn others that you are going to be there practicing so they can look out for you, not to keep them away from you. See and avoid is an important part of vfr training. Even if they were on frequency nothing would have changed. They had the same right to be there that you did.

this is why I’m not a fan of these informal practice areas. Like casa grande, they seem to promote a feeling of protection to local pilots that doesn’t actually exist. “Relying on good communication” is not how that airspace is meant to be safe. See and avoid is. When a non-local wanders in there and the locals are using non standard techniques they have no way of knowing about, but the locals expect them too, it’s unpleasant for everyone. /rant

Last edited:

Yup, it would be nice. And it’s well marked that you should. But as already said, relying on the ‘niceness’ of others is not a good idea
upload_2021-4-24_14-34-1.png

Go to an area outside of the box. If everyone else goes there, it’s a better reason to go elsewhere.

Back