Tomorrow's flight (Viking)

HAVE FUN!!!

Stay cool... make sure you have lots of emergency water on board... it's HOT out in the west right now.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Dep time 7am
726nm
4:33hrs
will take pics of beach for you all.

Have fun Dave! :)

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:
Dep time 7am
726nm
4:33hrs
will take pics of beach for you all.

Looks like a fun trip. Can't wait to see the photos!

Don't let any water get on the wings out there, they might warp. Hey, wing warping, just like the Wright Bros.! Just kidding Dave, have a nice trip! What's your route through the mountains?

look at all those TFRs in AZ. be carefull, and stop by Havasu on your way back :)

Great trip.

I expect to make a similar trip next month, assuming the shop finishes the annual in time.

Hi! I love California, everyone is very relaxed - even Friday rush hour - and it is always a big party out here! The beach is amazing, it has been 17 yrs since I was here. We went straight to Torrey Pines and saw a bunch of parasailers jumping off the 500'(?) cliff, waves crashing onto the white sand below, all sorts of sightseeing planes going past *below* the bluff. Picked up some mags, had some Spanakopita at a Greek shop and some ice cream, ready for a nap then were out on the town again! The flight was perfect, early morning is the way to go in the summer, it was vfr most of the way, had to get deviations around Columbus VOR for a large cell otherwise it was a smooth ride with a tailwind to the coast, Socal appch and LA center very busy businesslike but easy to work with - planes all over the sky. Pics upon return.

Dave;

a very nice flight report and yes keep those Bellanca Wings Dry. Got a ride in one of those wonderful Bellanca triple tail machines. Yup they are very special.

John J

Love your snapshot report, Dave. It sounds like a fun trip.

Departed MYF in San Diego at 8am local off rwy 28 (yay, duats-filed flight plan 'took'!), climbed through a thin layer (C/M3000', heading 270) Up through the haze, didn't see much of the city or beach on departure although I knew we were over the water (any other route is in the way of Miramar and the international) before vectored eastbound and intercept v66, up to 4 then 6 then 8 and finally 11. Tried 13 for a while but headwinds too strong, came back down. Soon after I heard a Mooney 10 miles back at 13, reported my winds at 11 and asked for his at 13 - his were worse, but he stayed there. Soon I was 25 mi ahead and the following sector I asked for our groundspeeds and I had 25 kts on him. Near Yuma I was headed for a biggie, and efas was great (as they were for the whole trip), describing where, how big, direction it was moving and suggesting the best diversion around. This happened several times all the way to El Paso. One was so wide I 'diverted' by going beneath it (it was definitely convective but no rain/lightning yet), lost radar contact with me for that duration at 10K). Much better ride and saved a hundred miles of meandering. I was surprised how much traffic we saw and had to avoid through the desert sw this trip.

Enjoyed the beautiful but harsh scenery of Az and NM along the Mexico border, could have gone non stop but stopped for a break near El Paso, then dodge isolated ts into home base, landed in moderate rain. A very smooth (almost boring) trip, the pax loved it and couldnt believe we went from Tx mountains & desert to Ca beaches and back in a weekend.

Anyone have a fix for this? On the way out we stopped at Phoenix Regional for their cheap fuel (but no restrooms, ugh).... I called FSS for a clearance, they gave me the center ph number. Center told me to call tracon- but wait, I only see a partial flight plan, let me fix that first.. Tracon, of course, said you need to call Center - I said whoa I'm getting jacked here, can we do something else? Tracon said wait, made a call and then said OK depart vfr and call 12x.y they will be 'waiting for your call' - guess what? I can here them talking but they can't hear me (guaranteed; its not my radio). Even at a decent altitude outside the cba. So now I am rambling around vfr, climbing to ??, trying to make sure I avoid the airspace and hills, looking up alternate frequencies. Finally tried two center sectors and then Gila approach before someone would sort it out. A really nice female military controller found my flight plan, gave me a clearance sorted it all out. I guess I should have told the Tracon guy I can't depart vfr, against company rules or something but then he would have played some other trick like 'expect clearance next month'. The stories about PHX are true.

Only strange thing about the trip was a push going west and a headwind returning home, usually its the other way. The trip took an hour longer coming home... 20kts of wind x 2* = 40kts over ave 4 hrs trip 160kts = 1hr .... makes sense I guess *(+20 westbound and -20 eastbound is a 40kt difference) PLUS going west you gain 2 hrs, going east we lost two.... so coming home seemed to take all day! We left for Ca early and arrived before lunch. We left for home early and arrived almost at suppertime!

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:
Only strange thing about the trip was a push going west and a headwind returning home, usually its the other way. The trip took an hour longer coming home... 20kts of wind x 2* = 40kts over ave 4 hrs trip 160kts = 1hr .... makes sense I guess *(+20 westbound and -20 eastbound is a 40kt difference) PLUS going west you gain 2 hrs, going east we lost two.... so coming home seemed to take all day! We left for Ca early and arrived before lunch. We left for home early and arrived almost at suppertime!
Tropical storm going ashore in Mexico, I think....

Back