Tom Downey

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Tom, over on the red board you posted a picture of a Beaver on floats out of the water. In the background is a C-172 with what looks like a Mooney vert fin. Am I seeing that correctly?

Well, not Tom. You're looking at either a Lark or a Darter depending on the year of manufacture. Or some wiseguy has stolen the tail of my Mooney and welded it to a 172.

Last edited:
i posted a pic of one on here a while back..maybe it was on the old red board. There is one sitting at HII. never goes anywhere.

The design was originally called the Volair 10, from a company called Volaircraft of Aliquippa, PA. About 1965 the design was bought by Rockwell and produced with a 150-hp Lycoming as Aero Commander 100, later "Darter Commander". About 1968 Rockwell brought out a further development with a 180-hp Lycoming and a large, aft-swept fin, called Lark Commander.

-- Pilawt

Actully they are pretty good aircraft. with the 180 horse.

But how could anyone look past a beaver?

NC19143 said:
Actully they are pretty good aircraft. with the 180 horse.

But how could anyone look past a beaver?

**groan!!**

for those who don't go to the red boards

Thanks everyone. Tom, I don't even have an excuse for why I looke past the beav. Won't happen again, sir.

Dave Krall CFII said:
BTW: Are there many bays, rivers, or lakes there ?

A bit for bays, but of little use in aviation, hauling PAX to the Barrier Reef and/or the Whitsundays would be better, though I'd prefer plastic floats. As for inland mainland, I'd hang the wheels on it.

Henning said:
A bit for bays, but of little use in aviation, hauling PAX to the Barrier Reef and/or the Whitsundays would be better, though I'd prefer plastic floats. As for inland mainland, I'd hang the wheels on it.

You mean Full Lotus plastics (my favs) or some kind of composites like Aerocets ?

Dave Krall CFII said:
You mean Full Lotus plastics (my favs) or some kind of composites like Aerocets ?

Haven't really looked into them, so long as they don't corrode since they'll see salt water use.

Henning said:
Haven't really looked into them, so long as they don't corrode since they'll see salt water use.

Seems like the whole deal would be better off composite, like an AeroComp 10 instead of the Beav's antiquated alumium & rivet technology for saltwater but then with those there's the equally antiquated regs to deal around, probly no better down there either.

Back