Tom Clancy, Dead at age 66

Same here.....Sad to see him go. I think I read most, if not all, of his books.

Without Remorse was my favorite and still hope they make it into a movie

First Vince Flynn in June and now Tom Clancy! My two favorite authors in the same year! :mad:

Starting to lose the great authors,66 is much to young.may he rest in peace.

RIP.

My favourite book of his was Red Storm Rising

Imagine, a book written in 1986 that featured as one of it's heros a Russian General fighting a war against NATO...

First Vince Flynn in June and now Tom Clancy! My two favorite authors in the same year! :mad:

I think it must be a vast left wing conspiracy!

On the other hand, many of his novels proved the old adage that "fact follows fiction". Many of the things Clancy wrote about actually came to pass eventually. Of course names were changed to protect the guilty. I don't remember which book it was in right off the top of my head, but he wrote about a bunch of terrorists trying to shoot up a shopping mall and we just saw that happen in real life.

I think it must be a vast left wing conspiracy!

On the other hand, many of his novels proved the old adage that "fact follows fiction". Many of the things Clancy wrote about actually came to pass eventually. Of course names were changed to protect the guilty. I don't remember which book it was in right off the top of my head, but he wrote about a bunch of terrorists trying to shoot up a shopping mall and we just saw that happen in real life.

Hell...

The end of Debt of Honor was a maniac crashing a jumbo-jet into the Capitol...hmmmm...

My favorite Tom Clancy quote: "
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."

Often so appropriate for a few posters on this board. :rolleyes:

I've been a fan of Clancy for 20 years... sorry to see him go... read each of his books as they came out... and have most of them in hardcover...

Some of his stuff was a bit over the top.. but only by a bit... and it is scary to see how much of his stuff has been prophetic... The jumbo jet into a building in Debt of Honor only preceded the real thing by.. what... 10 years?

They're pretty quiet about what killed him, que the conspiracy theories.

I bet he's sharing a hotel room in Vegas with Elvis and Bruce Lee. 8)

There HAS to be a way to tie this in with Obamacare, the government shutdown and the shopping habits of some Saudi sheik.

Meh...it's up to the family. If they want to release the information, fine. Otherwise, it's really none of anyone else's business.

Meh...it's up to the family. If they want to release the information, fine. Otherwise, it's really none of anyone else's business.

True but he's a public figure with ties to the military and intelligence communities. If they don't release a cause of death, then we'll get a new crop of "truthers" claiming it's a government cover-up and demand investigations into what happened. They're better off releasing the cause of death.

True but he's a public figure with ties to the military and intelligence communities. If they don't release a cause of death, then we'll get a new crop of "truthers" claiming it's a government cover-up and demand investigations into what happened. They're better off releasing the cause of death.

Again: meh.

The more time the "truthers" spend spinning their wheels on pointless stuff like this, the lest time they have to bother other people.

RIP, Tom.

I read almost all of his books, in hard cover. My favorite (and most challenging - I had to write the Russian names and the page numbers on the inside cover when a character was introduced just to keep track) was Cardinal of the Kremlin.. Now THAT would be a good movie.

My favorite Tom Clancy quote: "
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."

Often so appropriate for a few posters on this board. :rolleyes:

Including you...

Clancy, as a person, is regarded by those who knew him as a gentleman, patriot, supportive of various charities, and all around good person.

It's difficult for those who don't know him to separate the man from his books. If I were to criticize his books would that be a criticism of him? But here goes. In his books, the high tech weapons and tools work too well. In real life, there would be a lot more failures. This is where Stephen Coonts seems to do a better job of making the events believable.

I saw a photo of him holding a cigarette so I can speculate that tobacco may have played a role.

Attachments

• clancy-vikings.jpg
    clancy-vikings.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 5
I saw a photo of him holding a cigarette so I can speculate that tobacco may have played a role.
Pretty sure I read somewhere that, like Lewis Grizzard, he didn't head the warnings that his body was sending. Prior heart attack; continued drinking, smoking, etc.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that, like Lewis Grizzard, he didn't head the warnings that his body was sending. Prior heart attack; continued drinking, smoking, etc.
You mean the Elvis is Dead and I Don't Fell so Good Myself Lewis Grizzard? I think he died during his 4th coronary artery bypass graft surgery. If the first 3 didn't get his attention, nothing would.

Clancy died at Johns Hopkins of a brief illness. Heart disease is common in middle aged men who smoke.

Update: Grizzard had a congenital heart defect and died during his 4th surgery for heart valve replacement so smoking was less of a factor in his death.

Last edited:
You mean the Elvis is Dead and I Don't Fell so Good Myself Lewis Grizzard? I think he died during his 4th coronary artery bypass graft surgery. If the first 3 didn't get his attention, nothing would.

Clancy died at Johns Hopkins of a brief illness. Heart disease is common in middle aged men who smoke.

Update: Grizzard had a congenital heart defect and died during his 4th surgery for heart valve replacement so smoking was less of a factor in his death.
Yep - that one. Pretty famous around these parts - I drive on the Lewis Grizzard Memorial Highway several times a week. While alive, he asserted that he wasn't changing his lifestyle because of his health. Although, after the first health valve replacement with(according to him) a pig heart valve, he said he did get a little misty-eyed while eating barbeque...

Yep - that one. Pretty famous around these parts - I drive on the Lewis Grizzard Memorial Highway several times a week. While alive, he asserted that he wasn't changing his lifestyle because of his health. Although, after the first health valve replacement with(according to him) a pig heart valve, he said he did get a little misty-eyed while eating barbeque...
I v'e been to Atlanta a few times. It is a fun town. I remember at least one really good BBQ place and I might need your help finding it next time we go back. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name. It may be in the vicinity of the Fernbank museum although that neighborhood seems a little too hoity-toity for a BBQ shack. Too many trips to eat BBQ and I might end up like Grizzard and Clancy.

I v'e been to Atlanta a few times. It is a fun town. I remember at least one really good BBQ place and I might need your help finding it next time we go back. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name. It may be in the vicinity of the Fernbank museum although that neighborhood seems a little too hoity-toity for a BBQ shack.
I'm guessing that would be Fox Bros. BBQ(web site appears to be down); 'bout two miles from Fernbank. IIRC, that's a Jeff Foxworthy favorite. Been there a time or two myself!

Too many trips to eat BBQ and I might end up like Grizzard and Clancy.
I resemble that remark... :yes:

Back