Tom&Barb's weekend trip

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
We left Oak Harbor Thursday evening catching the last ferry run to Port Townsend Wa and arrived at Sanderson Field Shelton late Thursday evening, to finish the installation of Ken's 170 engine we started this last weekend 15-18 April.

Started early Fri getting the new airbaffling fitted, and hooking up the starter (sky-tech mod) wires and removing the old pull cables. I'm up side down under the panel when I hear a truck pull up.

A guy from the port of Mason Co. is telling me I can't be on airport property without a license to preform aviation services. I'm thinking "you got to be Sh---ing me" I ask what I am supposed to do, he says I must go see the airport director and shows me where.

Off I go the see the director, It turns out it is a she, She tells me the same thing, and says to fill out these forms and pay a $500 fee. I say Whoa, wait I am not starting a business, I just want to complete this one job and get gone.

She starts with the rules are rules lecture, But I interrupt and tell her If I can't do this the port will hear from my customer's lawyer about ---- that's when she say's well we maybe able to allow you to do this one job as a guest of the port.

I ask what it requires to do that?

She hands me a different form. I fill it out, except the blank where it asks for my insurance company. She enplanes that the port requires I show proof of 25 mil in coverage.

I pull the good ol poor boy story on her. and she allows me to continue what I was doing. (What a hassle)

Last weekend we stayed right by the hangar all weekend this weekend they make us remove the trailer and stay at the County Fairground RV park at $15 per night.

I'm telling you guys that Free Lanced A&P is being forced out, by stupid airport directors using rules to protect the county.

Anyway,, rant mode off.

I got Kens engine installed hooked up, serviced and took it out for a turn, I have overhauled the Carb, Gen, changed to Sky-tech Starter, up graded to Unison ignition, So I expect every thing could give me a problem.

It starts and runs on the 3rd blade up. no Leaks, Idle set at 550, mixture at 50 RPM rise. and it is as smooth as it gets. I run it 5 minutes untill I notice that the CHT is not reading, the generator is not charging, and the mags have no drop on any position. (even off) I pull thr mixture and it quits.

I find the "P" leads are connected but when I meter them they have no ground, I must get a new Mag Switch. It is on order.

I find the CHT thermocouple lead is broken under the insulation, it is on order.

This stuff stayed with the aircraft when I removed the engine.

I start and run the engine again and flashed the field on the generator and it starts to charge.

We got the break in run done, and flew it .5 today, But I still must go back down there one more time to install a new CHT/EGT system and a new mag switch/"p" lead set.

Oh Well it's a beautiful trip.

Here are some pics

Orca play/feeding off Hoodsport Wa.
Kens 170A
Kens hangar

We worked all day Friday in the rain Yucky weather both weekends.

I wish you lived near me and could be my full time mechanic.

It's not just the airport protection weenies, Tom. The Castroville airport down here is under fire from the local politicians because it doesn't return enough money to the city coffers. Some local pols want to shut it down. It currently breaks-even, got insurance money & a pretty nice grant to build a new terminal building after a tornado leveled the old one a couple of years ago. The T-Hangars are full and they have a waiting list. And they do a pretty good business in fuel sales. Next will be to charge anyone doing business on the field more money.

And people wonder why it's hard to get planes serviced.

Back