Toddler headset and portable 02

Luckypants

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Luckypants
I'm in the market for both, but not sure what I want. The boy is currently 4 months and will start flying soon. I fly a G2 Cirrus SR22 NA. As far as the oxygen goes, it will almost be a novelty considering I'm in LA and will rarely find an excuse to get up that high. Your time and suggestions are appreciated.

I wouldn't worry about the O2. Your biggest concern for someone that young will be keeping the descent rates in check - 500 fpm or less whenever possible, and have them on sucking on a bottle for any extended descents.

For the ears, at that age we cut a foam (not wax) ear plug in half lengthwise and tried to have them keep it in by pulling knit cap over the head and ears. Worked some to most of the time. My boys are now 4 and 6 and rather than a kid's headset, I've found that DC 13.4's with soft ear muff covers and the band set to the smallest size works just fine. I keep the prop dialed back to 2200 rpm in cruise as a general practice.

The portable O2 system designed by Precise Flite for Cirrus planes works well and acts as a space defining kid separator if two kids are in the back.

They aren't sold anymore but the Lightspeed QFR headset were relatively inexpensive and fit a large variety of head sizes including kids but were also great for women wearing earrings.

...For the ears, at that age we cut a foam (not wax) ear plug in half lengthwise and tried to have them keep it in by pulling knit cap over the head and ears. Worked some to most of the time. My boys are now 4 and 6 and rather than a kid's headset, I've found that DC 13.4's with soft ear muff covers and the band set to the smallest size works just fine. I keep the prop dialed back to 2200 rpm in cruise as a general practice.

Jeff's got a great solution for your newborn. Because of how delicate their heads and ears are, I think that's the best option.

As far as you and anyone with kids, we're about to release our child line and some great new graphics. I can't think of a better place to plug our stuff. :) There's many great options out there, and maybe we fit what you're after.

Back