Toddler Doesn't want to wear headsets

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
My toddler doesn't want to wear headsets in the plane. I let him play with them at home and he's fine- for a few seconds. He's only flown one trip thus far (there and back, really 2 trips) and might be more amicable to them now, but I don't want to risk his hearing and therefore want something that he cannot remove as easily.

We are planning to drive him to grand-parent's and pick him up 2 days later by plane. I need some hearing protection for him for the 1hr flight home and cannot bet on him napping during the ride.

Looking for suggestions and I only have 1 week if it's an order item.

Pipe in his favorite children's audio so he leaves them on.

That's a really good idea!
My kids take their headsets off too. I am going to connect their headsets to the iPad. I bet they leave them on.

Thanks.

It isn't going to hurt him for an hour to not use a headset. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If he uses one, fine. If not, that is ok too.

My toddler doesn't want to wear headsets in the plane. I let him play with them at home and he's fine- for a few seconds. He's only flown one trip thus far (there and back, really 2 trips) and might be more amicable to them now, but I don't want to risk his hearing and therefore want something that he cannot remove as easily.

We are planning to drive him to grand-parent's and pick him up 2 days later by plane. I need some hearing protection for him for the 1hr flight home and cannot bet on him napping during the ride.

Looking for suggestions and I only have 1 week if it's an order item.

Get him some earplugs, or childs ear protectors.

yup, ditto the recommendation to plug the headsets into a iDevice or DVD player with a purple dinosaur or something......

You might need an adapter depending on the device but it's a cheap radio shack thing....

I did a 3.5 hour flight each way out to El Paso and back with my 3 boys...the youngest is 4. He took his off several times but it was because he wanted to lay his head down on a pillow in the backseat and having the headset on was uncomfortable. No worries...like someone said, having them off for a few hours isn't going to hurt anything.

That said, each kid had a device and I made sure I had the proper cables to hook them up to headsets...that ensured they stayed on the duration.

Don't worry about it. Kids will go through stages with that. Use a lower RPM cruise to keep noise down.

Our son takes his headset off, but he's gotten better about it realizing that he can talk to us. But really, a 1 hour plane flight will have much less impact on his ears than standing in front of a speaker his size as a teenager blaring "Dead and Bloated" or whatever the new band will be by then.

I am amazed every time I have to go in the box for a hearing test, I always figure I should have some loss, but nope.

Don't worry about it. Kids will go through stages with that. Use a lower RPM cruise to keep noise down.

Our son takes his headset off, but he's gotten better about it realizing that he can talk to us. But really, a 1 hour plane flight will have much less impact on his ears than standing in front of a speaker his size as a teenager blaring "Dead and Bloated" or whatever the new band will be by then.

I don't have any advice to contribute, but "Dead and Bloated" made me spit my raisin bran onto my screen and keyboard... :rofl:

Speaking of Dead and Bloated, why Chester Bennington??? I like STP Okay but this was an odd choice. Replacing Scott Weiland was probably in their best interests but their choice of replacements makes for less than ideal composition.

s@#t forgot this isn't my recording forum.
Back to pilot stuff.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Not going to be pulling the prop back in a Skyhawk, but I don't think a restart 172 is going to be all that loud in the back.

Try and get him to keep them on for takeoff, but after that, it really won't matter. By the time they're 4 or 5 they know everything and won't listen to you anyway.

We have the same problem with our 5 year old. Surprisingly the solution has been in-ear headphones (Quiet Tech Halo).

gun shop?

Probably. You could also try putting some Mickey ears or something on his headset. Make sure they're comfortable though, I start taking off David Clarks after about 20 minutes myself. Foam ear plugs will be far more than sufficient because really, as others said, an hour here and there in a small plane won't cause any damage.

I am amazed every time I have to go in the box for a hearing test, I always figure I should have some loss, but nope.

I have service related hearing loss of about 25%, and tinitus "sound level" of 5 on a scale of 1-10. You are a lucky man trust me. :yes:

I have service related hearing loss of about 25%, and tinitus "sound level" of 5 on a scale of 1-10. You are a lucky man trust me. :yes:

Oh, I realize it! I used to tune engines at the track with no hearing protection.:mad2: Lots of noisy industry over the years, flying is one of the quieter industries I've been in and I was never particularly careful; then there were my car stereos.:rolleyes: Concerts where your ears rang for a couple days after.:rockon: Now my Ex Wife argued the results with tech one time, "Are you sure you know how to read that? He never hears me...":D

Before you can say whether or not the noise will hurt his hearing you need to know how loud you plane is? Get a Decibel scale or App for your phone and see how loud you plane is at cruise. Then decide if he needs head phones or not, It might not be a problem.

Ever find anything that helps?
I have tinnitus and it used only to be noticeable in dead quiet rooms. Now it is always there.

I would encourage young ones to wear ear protection. The damage was so gradual, I never really noticed it until it was to late.

Back