Today's trip

NC Pilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
NC Pilot
Today Agatha and I decided to visit our rental place in the mountains. Never mind that the winds were screaming - Direct headwind going up, reverse coming back. Mountain waves, occasional moderate turbulance, gusty conditions at our destination. We were going to get away.

The trip up was predictably a little slow, like 100 knots from a 182RG. Started getting mountian wave action about 100 miles from the mountains (yes, even the puny NC mountains - and we still call them mountains). The turbulance was pretty pronounced getting over the ridge where the Blue Ridge Parkway runs, then we started decending to GEV. Winds were 24G36 almost right down the runway. At one point Agatha asked if I was sure I wanted to do this. Decided to get closer before answering.

Landing went well, got to the house, checked it out, had lunch, stopped at Wal-Mart for some supplies and headed home. Took off, circled to gain some altitude and opened the flight plan. On the way home the headwind was a tailwind and we really made some time. At one point 220 knots and I wasn't pushing the plane. Still rather bumpy. The landing at home was a nice one wheeler in a crosswind. Put the plane away and went home.

Attached is a camera phone photo of the DME showing the groundspeed. Nice...

Tom, glad you were not with us this time. You would not have enjoyed this ride. Definately an E ticket trip.

Attachments

• Return from GEV.jpg
    Return from GEV.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 46
Glad you made it safely Mark (and Agatha). I've only flown over the mountains one time and it was like glass. Don't know if I'd have had the stomach to deal with all the turbulence with my limited experience in that environment.

Wow sounds like an interesting trip Mark. Even Larry flying the King Air said it was even a bit bumpy for him.

Sounds like fun. Especially if you didn't get beaten up too much.

Glad you guys had a good flight. Ah, the utility of GA.

Wow Mark you have some serious stones. Wind was Nasty Howling here with a capital "N". At least it was right down the pike for landing.

No mountain is nothing to sneeze at in those winds. E ticket, huh? I'd like to hear Agatha's side. Sounds like a good trip.

NC Pilot said:
Tom, glad you were not with us this time. You would not have enjoyed this ride. Definately an E ticket trip.
Sounds like fun... :no: .

Maria and I called y'all yesterday afternoon to see if you wanted to join us for dinner at beautiful, cozy Southpoint. :rolleyes: Voice mail - I figured you were up there having Japanese!

Glad you got there and back in the same number of pieces you left with!

Regards to Agatha -

Mark. Its good to challenge yourself like that every once in a while. You are certainly up to the task as is the 182.

Great flight report Mark. Up in Kittery, we had 35G60 Sunday, and the chimney cap (and 4 bricks) came tumbling down onto the front porch of the inn we were at. Saw a King Air E90 taking off from Lawrence and he was having it handed to him...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Richard said:
No mountain is nothing to sneeze at in those winds. E ticket, huh? I'd like to hear Agatha's side. Sounds like a good trip.
Agatha actually enjoyed the ride. She is fine as long as she doesn't get sick and she doesn't get sick if she eats her Ginger.

NC Pilot said:
Agatha actually enjoyed the ride. She is fine as long as she doesn't get sick and she doesn't get sick if she eats her Ginger.
How funny is it, then, that the only time I've come close to losing it was FROM eating ginger!! (I know, I know... I ain't right. sigh.)

It's a funny ol' world, ain't it? :) :)

I'm sticking to the gizmo - that'll work for moi! (Though I was eating at a japanese place here in CH and tried the pickled ginger there - found I actually liked it... as long as I didn't chew it! :)

Back