Today's Sim

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
From now on there won't be any breaks from partial panel. I guess it is nice that PP is harder on the sim than in the Zlin! First approach was the same one we did for real a couple of days ago--the VOR DME Rwy 15L approach at BWI. I got nervous and edged right up to the 3/4 deflection right before the MDA. GRRRRR. I could say that the extra speed of the sim (a Lance) made it hard, but the real reason was focusing on altitude at the end to the exclusion of the needle.

Reset. Same approach. This time was almost perfect. Is there any way to get your "bad approach of the day" out of the way before the checkride?

Last approach was the ILS Rwy 4 at ESN. That went fine, too.

Notes:

1) I still need to get better at coming up with how many seconds per turn for timed turns under PP. Obviously, 30, 45, 90, and 180 are easy. And I do get the math for stuff in between (50, 70, etc.), but I wonder if I should memorize? I get nervous when in PP I have to figure it out. Example: I am heading 155, and must turn to 080. I have to subtract to get a turn of 75 degrees. Then I have to figure that I must put 25 seconds on the timer. It takes longer under pressure.

2) I have to be trigger-set to fly the missed right at the MAP or DA. I still tend to delay a few seconds, even though I've leveled off. I don't have to spazz out, but I have to be ready to smoothly add climb power (and make sure that prop is full in, too) the moment I pass the MAP. Again, I seem to be slower with this under PP.

3) Cockpit organization is tricky in the Zlin because there is no yoke. Everything has to be on the kneeboard, and anything not nailed down (like an L chart) tends to slip off.

4) Eight or more hours of sleep makes a BIG differency in how well I fly.

wangmyers said:
4) Eight or more hours of sleep makes a BIG differency in how well I fly.

Amen to that, brother! I notice a HUGE difference.

Remember when you were getting ready for the Private checkride, and people (probably) gave you the advice to a) fly the maneuvers at your own pace, and b) if you don't like the way a maneuver is going to just ask "can I start over and try this again?" Well, the same is true again. The examiner can't rush you into anything. Remember, you'll fly each approach when YOU are ready to fly them. And if your "bad approach of the day" happens to hit in the middle of the checkride, no worries, do exactly what you'd do in real life if the approach got all hosed up... go missed and try again. Remember who's in control--you are! You can do it!

--Kath

kath said:
And if your "bad approach of the day" happens to hit in the middle of the checkride, no worries, do exactly what you'd do in real life if the approach got all hosed up... go missed and try again. Remember who's in control--you are! You can do it!

--Kath
Very good point.

1) I still need to get better at coming up with how many seconds per turn for timed turns under PP. Obviously, 30, 45, 90, and 180 are easy. And I do get the math for stuff in between (50, 70, etc.), but I wonder if I should memorize? I get nervous when in PP I have to figure it out. Example: I am heading 155, and must turn to 080. I have to subtract to get a turn of 75 degrees. Then I have to figure that I must put 25 seconds on the timer. It takes longer under pressure.
You're on an incremental system anyway, so why not just count off the increment:
One one thousand two onethousand, 140 onethousand.
one one thousand two onethousand, 130 onethousand.
one one thousand two onethousand, 120 onethousand.....
until you get to
one one thousand two onethousand, 08 onethousand, and rollout.

bbchien said:
You're on an incremental system anyway, so why not just count off the increment:
One one thousand two onethousand, 140 onethousand.
one one thousand two onethousand, 130 onethousand.
one one thousand two onethousand, 120 onethousand.....
until you get to
one one thousand two onethousand, 08 onethousand, and rollout.
Please don't laugh at this, but I'm extremely embarassed to say that although I am expert at keeping tempo, I can't seem to pick the right one that equals 1 second! :redface: I do use this method for 10-30 degrees, though.

wangmyers said:
Please don't laugh at this, but I'm extremely embarassed to say that although I am expert at keeping tempo, I can't seem to pick the right one that equals 1 second! :redface: I do use this method for 10-30 degrees, though.
Not Laughing. But computing IS more of a distraction than counting. And the rollout is approximate. You have to go Straight and Level and look at the Mag Compass to confirm where you are.

bbchien said:
Not Laughing. But computing IS more of a distraction than counting. And the rollout is approximate. You have to go Straight and Level and look at the Mag Compass to confirm where you are.

Good. So, I'm not alone in being slow to compute under PP! (Not referring to you, of course.)

Back