Today's POA food discussion....

Ketchup, prepared sauce or other in your Sloppy Joe?

• ketchup

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • prepared sauce

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • other (I will elaboarte in thread)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Hate sloppy joe

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
Sloppy Joe

So, yesterday I felt like having Sloppy Joe. For many a year I have used a prepared sauce instead of ketchup. My Dad always used ketchup when I was a kid but it never caught on with me as an adult. Looking in the cabinets, no Manwich sauce on hand. Sooo, I remember I can make it with ketchup. I was like, why not? So, I did and boy was it good! I had forgotten how good.

So, for you all Sloppy Joe eaters, ketchup or prepared Joe sauce?

David

Hate sloopy joe. Guess I had enough when I was a kid. :(

When I was a kid and we had sloppy joes, I'm pretty sure it came from a can. Mom called it "barbecue". Boy, was I being set up...

It's been many a year since I've made sloppy joe's, but I'm pretty sure the last time I made it I used a can.

It's not my favorite, but I wouldn't turn it away either. I grew up with ketchup as the base, but I prefer tomato paste and spices.

Damn, I just did an "other" and elaborated, but I didn't include that in my vote. I feel like I just f***d Britain over.

I LOVED them as a kid.
I tried a manwich a for the first time in years last week and expected this wondrous reunion of my taste buds with this amazing meal from my youth exploding in my mouth bringing back all of the memories of drinking from a water hose, running through sprinklers, playing with neighborhood kids all the local pond, that one time uncle slippy fingers did a bad thing in my no no place, and hoping I would rediscover this epic flavorful sandwich that ruled over all other sandwiches of my youth. I couldn't wait to bite into the thing and when I did....

It was a little... meh

Hate em..maybe it was the way the school made them but I am forever ruined on those. I can think of much healthier things to eat that are far less messy.

Never liked them,cheap imitation of barbque.

Package of Sloppy Joe seasoning with can of tomato paste!

Mix the Sloppy Joes or ground beed with Taco Seasoning with some Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and you had a meal fit for king in my College days!

Come to think of it, even if I feel like eating a bun, I don't like sloppy joes in buns since I can't really cram as much in there as I would like. I think a tortilla (e.g. burrito) is a superior means of eating sloppy joes. Then again if you're going to do that, why not just make it up with taco or burrito spices to begin with.

Come to think of it, even if I feel like eating a bun, I don't like sloppy joes in buns since I can't really cram as much in there as I would like. I think a tortilla (e.g. burrito) is a superior means of eating sloppy joes. Then again if you're going to do that, why not just make it up with taco or burrito spices to begin with.
And carnitas...

My wife makes them sometimes but as I mature I'm starting to dislike sloppy handheld foods. I'd rather just have a burger.

Heard there's one on side of a road somewhere. 6PC knows where, maybe he'll tell ya.

I love them, but I call them what they really are, "scrambled hamburgers". Just meat, ketchup and some spices. I don't eat them too often though.

I haven't had a sloppy joe since I was a kid. I don't remember hating them, but obviously I didn't love them enough to continue eating them. My son is almost 23 and I don't remember ever feeding him one... I don't remember anything about the sauce.

If you aren't sure how many hamburgers to make, and you don't feel like assembling all the typical condiments, then that's when you go down the sloppy joes route.

Maybe we're talking about different things. Around here a sloppy joe is chopped up burger mixed w/ bbq sauce. I fix them once a month or so. Like someone else said, they're good with tots.

I just did a Google of places that serve sloppy joes around here. The only two I can identify are upscale, $pensive restaurants, one of which gives them to you on small buns as sliders, and the other between two pieces of sliced bread. And both are waaaaaaaaay overpriced.

Maybe we're talking about different things. Around here a sloppy joe is chopped up burger mixed w/ bbq sauce. I fix them once a month or so. Like someone else said, they're good with tots.

Yes but usually a very specific sauce and served sorta like a pulled pork sandwich would be.
Scoop up a bit and slog it on a bun.

Back