Today's Flight (xpost)

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I love filing and flying from BWI. Call clearance, ground, tower, and then go. Today, flying from a class E airport, I was SPIFR. Taxied to the runup area, and saw a Mirage taxi up behind me. I tuned in the freq for my clearance just as I heard the Mirage get their release. Damn. I had to hold there for twenty minutes. I called three times. First, the guy hadn't checked in, then I was waiting for someone to land and cancel on the ground. I understand all of this, and I'm not complaining--this is just the way it is.

Finally, I was released. After that 20 minute wait on the ground, it took 20 minutes to get myself over to my destination! I was going to have lunch, but was behind schedule, so I turned around and got my clearance back. This time I got it from ground (KMRB), and I was up right away. Thirteen minutes later, I was back.

So, that's the price you pay for IFR, even in excellent VMC. Single pilot, I really appreciate being able to file. There is another set of eyes helping out, and navigating is so much more stress-free.

Back at the base, I did six more landings, all in a nice crosswind. The C182 handles them so well. All landings were at least acceptable, with a couple of squeakers in there. I really tried to use full flaps, but it was just a bit easier to land with 20 degrees. But for those of you who are Skylane drivers, I did make my Vref 65 KIAS and I did like it. So now I am revising down my Vrefs to 65 KIAS solo, and 70 full.

PS: I just think this looks funny: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N7275H Did I really fly that straight? LOL!

Last edited:
Awesome Ben,

Glad you had a good time!

Back