Today's Actual

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
In the FDK area the bases were averaging about 1500 AGL throughout the morning, so I was good for both pattern work and an approach. I hadn't flown the C182 in about three weeks, and I wanted to try something different. I think I have finally found a winning formula for good landings. I'd like your comments: As always, start with a stabilized approach. But with the Skylane, give yourself a slightly longer final than in slower craft.

Absolutely make sure you are trimmed for hands-off flight, and done with config changes right after turning final. The winning combo for me today was 20 degrees and 70 KIAS at probably 400 under max landing weight. I would up that to 75 for full gross.

On short final, gradually remove any remaining power. Transition smoothly and gradually to level flight a few feet above the runway. (I flared too high on the first landing.)

Gently kick out the crab.

Then, use butt sink on a slow count of three. (On the second landing, I felt the sink begin, but I didn't really let her sink at all. The result was that was in the landing attitude about two feet above the ground. I saved it with power, but this is poor energy management.) Let her sink smoothly, and respond with smooth, incremental elevator.

None of thsi is new, of course. The main point for me today was the combo of 20 degrees and 70 KIAS. This worked so well after the second landing, that I did four more. Each of them were at least good, and a couple were outstanding. I felt, however, like I was morally wrong for not using all 30 degrees, but on a long runway I also knew that as long as everything else was handled correctly, I had no worries.

OK, after that, I decided to do an approach. I requested the ILS from Potomac on the GCO. They were very kind to give it to me. The nice thing about this was I got a lot of time in the clouds. I have to admit that I was a bit nervous, as this was really the first time I was getting the wings wet solo (except for .2 in cruise last month), so I --GASP-- used the autopilot in cruise, at first. Well, my excuse to you guys would be that I wanted to make sure I could integrate it into my IMC flying. Anyway, I turned it off before my approach clearance and hand-flew an honest ILS, by myself, in IMC to 700 feet above minmums. The glideslope was right on, and my worst loc deflection was 1.5 dots. Laugh all you want, I felt pretty good.

So there--if I can do it, so can you.

BTW, the Skylane is now officially my mistress. (Luckily my wife likes her, too!)

Last edited:
Cool report, Ben! Good on you for the solo IMC. I've yet to do that... I've done IMC a time or two with a non-pilot aboard (climb through clouds to on top), but I need to find a day like the one you just described--high visibility, moderately low ceilings--and go do it.

Troy Whistman said:
Cool report, Ben! Good on you for the solo IMC. I've yet to do that... I've done IMC a time or two with a non-pilot aboard (climb through clouds to on top), but I need to find a day like the one you just described--high visibility, moderately low ceilings--and go do it.
Yep, I really lucked out. The ceilings weren't menacingly low, so I had just enough gumption to go for it!

wangmyers said:
I felt, however, like I was morally wrong for not using all 30 degrees, but on a long runway I also knew that as long as everything else was handled correctly, I had no worries.

Sinner! You'll end up in flap hell.

BTW, the Skylane is now officially my mistress. (Luckily my wife likes her, too!)

There's a lot to like about Skylanes, but a threesome?

Ben;

A very nice report; Glad you got into the "Groove" with the Skylane. it is a real nice feeling when you have it all tuned in. Very nice on the solo IFR. Give your sefl time to practice and it will get better each time.

Glad you are having fun learning all the finer points.

John

Ben,
I almost never use full flaps anymore. Unless it's a short field landing, I use 20 degrees. I didn't like the auto-pilot at first. There were times that it did stuff that I wasn't expected so I just shut it off. After careful study, I've learned to love "George". The flight-school I train at teaches coupled approaches. Man, it was scary letting the AP fly the approach but now I just watch it like a hawk while it does the work.

Good on you for getting out there with this near perfect IFR weather. I'm sans flying funds, so I get my fix on the SIM at home.

Thanks, John! My love for flying sure hasn't diminished in these past four years!

jdwatson said:
I almost never use full flaps anymore. Unless it's a short field landing, I use 20 degrees.
Why not use full flaps? Use all of the tools you have. Full flaps lower landing speed and landing energy. That saves tires and brakes and, if the worst happens, minimizes damage.

jdwatson said:
Ben,
I almost never use full flaps anymore. Unless it's a short field landing, I use 20 degrees. I didn't like the auto-pilot at first. There were times that it did stuff that I wasn't expected so I just shut it off. After careful study, I've learned to love "George". The flight-school I train at teaches coupled approaches. Man, it was scary letting the AP fly the approach but now I just watch it like a hawk while it does the work.

Good on you for getting out there with this near perfect IFR weather. I'm sans flying funds, so I get my fix on the SIM at home.

I understand the money part. Wow, I just had to pay my credit card bill. Oooh, mama!

Thank you!
HPNPilot1200 said:
Great write-up Ben! I really enjoy reading your posts, I always learn from them; your writing style is very intriguing!

:yes:

Back