Today's accelerated recap Dubuque IA

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
Posted this elsewhere

---------------

I wanted to share my experience today. A good learning session. Flight to KDBQ was almost flawless. We did as full VOR approach to KDBQ rwy 13 VOR and then a procedure turn and circle to land on runway 18. It was great. my friend Kevin, who recently got his IR ticket and recommended my instructor to me, was in the back and while my instructor had to use the boys room, my friend told me he was very very impressed by my performance. The VOR approach, procedure turn and circle to land was really no big deal. I hand flew the whole way except when I put on A/P for about 5 minutes to do my ALARMS to brief approach. Only issue was with plane- the alternator belt was stretched and needed to be adjusted. We let the owner know.

On the way back, we had to vamoose. I had initially said late last night based on my weather analysis that I wanted out by 1-1:30. Well because of the repair, we couldn't get out until 2:30. Weather REALLY built up. I learned how to read the MFD and utilize ATC for vectoring around cells. I made a PIC decision to change our course due to bands of storms coming toward KRENA as viewed on MFD and listening to PIREPS. My instructor said it was a good call. We changed out course and it was ok, but we encountered the worst wind shear I ever experienced. Needless to say I was nervous. My instructor said I made a good call to reduce power to Va and I was monitoring power. I decided to hand fly as I did not trust the auto pilot in that weather given how quirky it has been. Al, my instructor, kept encouraging me, and was a real calming effect. Kevin said I handled it well.

We were vectored to the ILS 16. KPWK controllers had us use best forward speed as they were trying to get everyone in. Then suddenly, Al told me it was his airplane and landed. He had said he way eye-ing the weather while I was under the hood. There was a massive wind shift and even the jet behind us had issues landing.

All in all, a good day, and the experience I am getting is amazing.

I really don't think I will be ready Friday for my check ride. Because of the weather, we didn't get as much as we wanted to do. We have too much to do and I don't want to force it. Tomorrow we will go to Janesville, and do a DME arc, and approaches and holds. Meanwhile, we will soldier on....so my DPE and I will still go on Friday, but not for a flight test. Pictures to follow.

Rockford approach and Chicago Center/Approach were awesome with their help. Real professionals. Love working with them.

Sounds smokin' hot to me. I hope I get real-world experience during my IR training.

Back