Today was my second time in the left seat

Dwain Jones

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Starfleet
Wow, where do i start. All I know if there is a lot going on in that 172. I had no idea. As many others have stated it's really overwhelming but Im committed. I made my first ATC call today, it went without a hitch. I talk on a radio everyday at work but that seemed like a much bigger hill to climb. I'm hoping to learn a thing or two here.

I see there a bunch of fight related videos on Youtube, can anyone recommend one channel over another?

BTW, Im training out of KGTU.

That's awesome man! I train out of KGKY in Arlington TX! As you gain experience things will get easier and you won't feel so overwhelmed. Things will become more like second nature. The 172 is a great plane to learn in. It took me forever to be good on the radio and even today there was a call where I was like what?

Be careful on youtube, some people have great information and others seem to spout a lot of nonsense. I would always backup what you learn from videos with the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the Airplane Flying Handbook which are both free downloads online through the FAA.

AOPA has some great videos and anything by kingschool is pretty good. Some people like MZERO but personally I can't stand him. Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply, I'll check out those channels and I'll trust but verify. :)

Its normal to feel overwhelmed in the beginning. Heck, it took me a while to feel comfortable taxing. Don't worry too much about the radio at this point in your training, concentrate on flying the plane. Stick with it, and it will all come together. Most of all have fun.

Echoing what the poster above said - flying like any other skill will take patience and practice. Every student will find some things may come easily while other things will be a struggle. Stick with it - do your homework, 'chair fly' (practice the maneuvers when at home), and over some time it will come together. Get out there and enjoy yourself!

It is overwhelming and totally foreign at first, we've all felt that. Different from first learning to drive because, while you're learning a new skill there, you're at least familiar with riding in a car regularly. It's not a totally new environment.

It won't take long for that overwhelming feeling to go. Yes, there's a lot going on, but you'll be on top of it and eventually ahead of it. Enjoy!

I would suggest avoiding the "how to fly" YouTube videos until you have a muuuuch better understanding of the key fundamentals your CFI is teaching you. It's too easy to get bad knowledge and habits lodged in your brain that then take time and money to unwind.

Just focus on the CFI, the PHAK, and the AFH and you'll do just fine.

The exception to the rule is the Just Plane Silly channel

@OMGIFORGOTHOWTOLAND -- PM me your email address and Facebook handle and I'll get you an invite to the North Texas Aviators page. Real good group of locals populate that space.

Wow, where do i start. All I know if there is a lot going on in that 172. I had no idea. As many others have stated it's really overwhelming but Im committed. I made my first ATC call today, it went without a hitch. I talk on a radio everyday at work but that seemed like a much bigger hill to climb. I'm hoping to learn a thing or two here.

I see there a bunch of fight related videos on Youtube, can anyone recommend one channel over another?

This guy has a few videos. He intended to log every hour of flight training. He has an intro video, hour 9 through 13 videos then he stopped putting them out. I think he just didn't have time to edit them all, maybe he'll finish the series at some point. I think he does a good job editing the videos which keeps them interesting. His CFI seems really cool too.

It may help you to realize its normal to feel overwhelmed. Not for use as a training aid.

They don't call flight training drinking from a firehose for nothing.

Oh yea, and welcome to POA and flying! You might want to make a quick list of the things you think about now, before you get in too deep. You probably won't remember what you used to use brain cycles on.

This guy has a few videos. He intended to log every hour of flight training. He has an intro video, hour 9 through 13 videos then he stopped putting them out. I think he just didn't have time to edit them all, maybe he'll finish the series at some point. I think he does a good job editing the videos which keeps them interesting. His CFI seems really cool too.

It may help you to realize its normal to feel overwhelmed. Not for use as a training aid.

They don't call flight training drinking from a firehose for nothing.

Omg, that's it exactly. Thanks for the link.

Excellent! And a belated welcome to the board.

Just wait until you fly a complex and you'll think that 172 is just a kids bike with training wheels. :D

Keep up the good work!

Back