Today in Aviation History - March

March 29

In 1951... Flight Safety Inc. begins operations at the Marine Air Terminal at LaGuardia Airport, New York with just one secretary and rented late night hours on a Link trainer simulator.
Talk about a one-horse outfit turning a profit! :cheerswine:

March 30

In 1928... A resident of Zehden, Germany, Samuel Schwartz, asks German airline Deutsche Luft Hansa (DLH) for rent for the airspace above his house, citing law that says his rights extend to the “space above and the ground beneath” his property.

In 1928... The Federal Aeronautique Internationale (FAI)–ratified world speed record is pushed through 300 mph for the first time. Flying a specially adapted Macchi M-52bis seaplane, Italian Maj. Mario de Bernardi achieves a speed of 512.69 km/h (318.64 mph). This is an increase of 20.81 mph over his previous record.

In 1929... Imperial Airways inaugurates a weekly passenger service from England to India, part of which would have to be taken by rail. For £130 single fare, the trip ends in Karachi seven days after leaving England.

In 1939... Piloted by Flugkapitän Hans Dieterle, the Heinkel He 100 V8/R (serial no. D-IDGH) seizes the absolute world air speed record from Hermann Wurster, who has flown his Bf 109 to 379 mph. The pilot achieves four legs of a course at Oranienburg to record an average speed of 463.92 mph, adding 70 mph to the previous record.

In 1939... First flight of the Australian C.A.C. CA-16 Wirraway.

In 1945... World War II: a defecting German pilot delivers a Messerschmitt Me 262A-1 to Americans.

In 2006... Marcos Pontes becomes the first Brazilian astronaut in space.

March 31

In 1912... The world’s first hydroplane competitions, held in Monaco, over the past week, has been a runaway success for Farman biplanes. Belgian Jules Fisher is the overall winner. He is one of only two non-French pilots of the eight starters and flies a Henry Farman machine.

In 1965... Iberia Airlines Convair 440, crashed into the sea on approach to Tangier killing 47 of 51 occupants.

In 1975... A specially modified Royal Canadian Air Force de Havilland CC-115 (DMC-5 Buffalo) makes its first flight carrying an inflatable air-cushion landing system beneath the fuselage.

In 1979... The British government announces development and production costs for the Concorde supersonic airliner since November 29, 1962, when agreement was reached with France to design and built the aircraft. Through December 31, 1978, the French government spent a total of £920 million whereas the British spent £898 million. The total cost of £1.818 billion would increase by a further £163 million, before government funding ceased.

In 1986... A Mexicana Boeing 727 en route to Puerto Vallarta erupts in flames and crashes in the mountains northwest of Mexico City, killing 166.

In 1990... First flight of the Robinson R44 helicopter.

In 2008... Aloha Airlines, a bankrupt airline, permanently ends passenger service.

:( Tis a sad day!

Indeed! Alas, this may be the first airline I've ridden that's gone bankrupt. (I don't know whose 727 I flew from Madison to Pittsburgh in about 1977 or so...)

Two things I remember about flying on Aloha:

1) Short flight. Literally climb, climb, climb, push over, descend, descend, descend, land. Only about 30 minutes wheels up to wheels down.

2) Excellent service. Despite the ridiculously short flight (Honolulu to Kona), they served drinks in the climb - Choose from Mango, Papaya, etc. juices. Friendly, fast and efficient.

Okay, I've got one more...

3) No pushback from the gate at PHNL. They'd twist the nose gear 90 degrees to the side, put lots of thrust on one side and reverse thrust on the other, pivot almost in place, and then taxi away. I always thought that was cool.

Indeed! Alas, this may be the first airline I've ridden that's gone bankrupt. (I don't know whose 727 I flew from Madison to Pittsburgh in about 1977 or so...)

Two things I remember about flying on Aloha:

1) Short flight. Literally climb, climb, climb, push over, descend, descend, descend, land. Only about 30 minutes wheels up to wheels down.

2) Excellent service. Despite the ridiculously short flight (Honolulu to Kona), they served drinks in the climb - Choose from Mango, Papaya, etc. juices. Friendly, fast and efficient.

Okay, I've got one more...

3) No pushback from the gate at PHNL. They'd twist the nose gear 90 degrees to the side, put lots of thrust on one side and reverse thrust on the other, pivot almost in place, and then taxi away. I always thought that was cool.

And we had tickets on them for next Sunday from HNL to LIH and back on the 12th. Quick scramble to get replacement seats (which I had to pay for) on another airline.

Back