toasted digicam, any use for it other than paperweight?

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I took my "old" (2 yrs old) digicam to NZ along with my brand new one. the new one never left my side. the older one was in "carryon" luggage (which it was, except that once we got going I didn't handle my own luggage). long and short, somehow the LCD display internally cracked. The camera will turn on, but natually won't take a single photo - the back display looks like a kaleidoscope.

It was a good little camera, I've taken many good shots with it and I just hate to throw it in the garbage (even though once I got the new one I wasn't using it much anyway). is there anything that can be done with it or is it simply not worth it? I gather that these things are now so cheap you may as well chuck them and buy new (you can get a brand new 7 MP Canon, like the one I spent 550 bucks for in May... for 400 bucks!! )

The battery/charger and flash card are still good naturally. I guess I can give those to my brother. sigh.

Does it have a video out jack that could be used to view what the camera is pointing at with an external display? If it does it could be used as a tripod mounted camera for a variety of things. We use one at my side business to take picture for id cards.

If not it is another of item for the landfill.

I don't think that would work, because I can just look through the regular viewfinder and it still won't take photos. I guess it's not worth saving.

this is the second digicam I have killed, now. and both times while traveling. hmmmm. (then again I've done some damage to heavy old carbuncle cameras too - always while traveling. hmmmm)

oh well. the cards and battery are still good.

If it won't take the pics it is probably toast. Just don't toss it out in the airport.

Pre-9/11 I was in Narita airport (Tokyo). There had been the American kid who had spray painted a bunch of cars in Singapore. His sentance was to be canned several times. The US government raised a protest and it caused all kids of issues in Asia. The BTW admited his guilt.

When he was returning to the US it was through Narita and I was there. CNN and a whole buch of other news people were there and tourists were taking pictures and video too. This one guy walks up looks through his video camera and then dumps it into the trash.

I lived in Europe during the 80's and was in Beriut in 1983. Having almost gotten blown up a few times I was a bit sensitive about terrorists and his action caused alarm bells in my head to go off. Why would anyone throw a camera away and then walk away from it quickly. Hmm, lots of news guys, an explosion, etc.

I stepped quickly away from where he dumped it and notified the first security guy I saw. Japan takes this stuff pretty seriously as Narita had some local attacks in the past. I pointed to the guy, told the security officer what he did. The security guy read it the same way I did and ran after the guy while calling for back up. The guy got cuffed and they started to evacuate the terminal.

The good news is he was not a terrorist, the camera was not a bomb, and everyhting was alright. It turns out that his camera had broken and he just decided to toss and go buy another over at the duty free. :dunno:

Oh well! At least CNN got some fun footage at the ariport.

You might at least invest an email to the mfg support site, see what they want to repair it. Often it's a "fixed" rate no matter what is wrong with it. Might be worth the $ to get yourself a backup camera again.

woodstock said:
I took my "old" (2 yrs old) digicam to NZ along with my brand new one. the new one never left my side. the older one was in "carryon" luggage (which it was, except that once we got going I didn't handle my own luggage). long and short, somehow the LCD display internally cracked. The camera will turn on, but natually won't take a single photo - the back display looks like a kaleidoscope.

It was a good little camera, I've taken many good shots with it and I just hate to throw it in the garbage (even though once I got the new one I wasn't using it much anyway). is there anything that can be done with it or is it simply not worth it? I gather that these things are now so cheap you may as well chuck them and buy new (you can get a brand new 7 MP Canon, like the one I spent 550 bucks for in May... for 400 bucks!! )

The battery/charger and flash card are still good naturally. I guess I can give those to my brother. sigh.

thanks, I just called Canon - interesting program.

they can fix it for 150 bucks... or, give me a new (ish) S500 in exchange for this camera (minus battery, cards, wrist strap, and so on - they just want the camera) for 200 bucks.

it's the same as my old one, but it's 5 Mp. it also comes with a direct replacement warranty - if it goes bad they just send me a new one no questions asked.

to be honest this camera was starting to be annoying anyway, sometimes it was cranky. a "new" one with a warranty isn't a bad deal.

ps. makes me wonder if "fixing" the S400 means "we'll give you a new one" for 150 bucks. haha

Last edited:
ps. makes me wonder if "fixing" the S400 means "we'll give you a new one" for 150 bucks. haha
Probably.

If you already have another camera that you like, sounds like you're better off saving your money and going flying with the new one. :)

Back