To Turbo or Not- an numbers Question

I believe what you're describing is turbo-normalizing. We're turbo-charging here for a 10HP increase and the ability to make rated power at altitude.

10 HP is not much.

Take, say, the TSIO-520s in the 340 vs. a standard IO-520. 335 HP vs. 285 HP. That's significant. At a 10 hp gain, your primary benefit is the ability to maintain power at altitude.

I'm not familiar with the differences - Is he getting higher speeds at the same altitudes, or is he going higher?

About 25 kts more at lower altitude, and 40 kts more at high altitude. Actually, more than 40 kts at high altitude if you compare airplane to airplane directly - because the old 310 would lose airspeed if the altitude got as high as he can now go in the T310R.

Thank you Ernie for the data. How much is that +?

BTW, were you selling a 252 awhile back? I saw a guy Ernie on one of the Mooney boards discussing his pricing thought process. If that was you, did you get it sold? Have you ever owned a J?...lastly, I'm having a tough time getting empty weights for J's and K's do you have that data or know where I can look it up myself, I didn't find it in the TCDS.

I did sell it, replaced it with a non-turbo Waco. :D I think when the dust settled I spent about $42-3K. Make sure you get a real weight on any airplane you look at, the Ks tend to be heavier than the brochure weight. That was the only Mooney I have ever flown so can't provide comparisons.

Ernie

About 25 kts more at lower altitude, and 40 kts more at high altitude. Actually, more than 40 kts at high altitude if you compare airplane to airplane directly - because the old 310 would lose airspeed if the altitude got as high as he can now go in the T310R.

Wow - That's a pretty significant difference - Surprisingly so!

I did sell it, replaced it with a non-turbo Waco. :D I think when the dust settled I spent about $42-3K. Make sure you get a real weight on any airplane you look at, the Ks tend to be heavier than the brochure weight. That was the only Mooney I have ever flown so can't provide comparisons.

Ernie

What did you mean by this?

How much did you get for the 252 if you don't mind my asking? What concessions did you make (if any)?

What did you mean by this?

How much did you get for the 252 if you don't mind my asking? What concessions did you make (if any)?

Selling an M-20K and buying a Waco represents a pretty significant change in flying priorities. Doesn't mean a M-20K is bad, just a change. Not everyone wants to zip halfway across the country with a cannula or a mask strapped to their nose. Flying is supposed to be fun...I'm still saving my mad money to buy a Stearman.

The difference in style points alone makes the Waco worth whatever he paid for it. Has anybody on an airport ever said "Wow! Nice Mooney!" and meant it?

Selling an M-20K and buying a Waco represents a pretty significant change in flying priorities. Doesn't mean a M-20K is bad, just a change. Not everyone wants to zip halfway across the country with a cannula or a mask strapped to their nose. Flying is supposed to be fun...I'm still saving my mad money to buy a Stearman.

Flying is {mostly} fun but it can also be efficient. I miss the Mooney every time I have to go through TSA show and tell. But the Waco is the ultimate fun airplane for me.

Ernie

The difference in style points alone makes the Waco worth whatever he paid for it. Has anybody on an airport ever said "Wow! Nice Mooney!" and meant it?

And if you screw up a maneuver, you don't have to worry about exceeding Vne:wink2:

Back